Maria

Leatherworkers in Calgary--giving workshops??

Hey -I'm relatively new to Calgary AB and I have noticed a few of you are from here-does anyone know of a leatherworker in town who might be holding workshops or sessions? I am absolutely a beginner (I've got an awl and a bag of scrap leather pieces) but I'd like to get a feel for things with a teacher of sorts, or just somebody who has been doing it for awhile...Any ideas?

Thanks! Maria

Hi and welcome to the forum, Maria. You are absolutely in the right place to learn about leather. We've go some real experts here on the forum, and just about everyone on here is willing to help you learn. Check out the monthly challenges in the "special events...." forum. That is a voluntary participation online class, with member improvement being the goal. There will usually be a pattern supplied which can be printed and transferred to your leather. Also look for the tutorials that are spread throughout the site. You'll find a wealth of knowlege here. You can also take advantage of the "critique my work" section, where you can post pics of your work and have members offer their suggestions for improvements. On the home page of the site http://leatherworker.net (sans the /forum/) Dale H, and Clay B have given a few step by step tutorials for figure carving, and there's one on how to correctly sharpen and maintain a head knife by Rawhide (Marlon). Glad to have you on board, and we're all looking forward to seeing some of your work. And don't ever be afraid to post questions or pics- sometimes it's the best way to learn.

Mike

Edited by TwinOaks

Maria, first let's welcome you to the forum.....Welcome Maria....

Okay now that we got that out of the way, I'm from Calgary and found out quite some time ago that things in this city are not like they are in the US. Our Tandy store does not hold classes like they do down south. I've talked to the manager maybe only 3 times in all the times I've been there, and he was not interested in much more than selling product. Don't get me wrong though, they are very knowledgeable people there, and the staff are very friendly, they are just not into teaching.

Other than myself, I've only found one other person here that really does leatherwork as a business, and he's in the Crossroads Flee Market making and selling belts and little "Native" trinkets.

Now don't go getting discouraged or anything, because you have come to the right place, some of the BEST leatherworkers in the world are here, and are more than willing to help anyone out as needed.

What are you looking at learning in regards to leatherwork? This would be a big help in knowing if I could help you in anyway, seeing as I can probably see your house from mine...LOL. If it is saddles, I have no idea how they make those things, hand laced clothing....well, I'm pretty sure you're not going to find anyone other than me in Southern Alberta, I do know someone in Wembley that is very good as well.

So give us an idea, and we will all see what we can do to help out.

Ken

Hello all in the Calgary area,

Andy Wesson, the manager of the Tandy Leather Factory store in Calgary, assues me that they have an active class/workshop program in place at his store. Give him a call at (403) 253-1768 or toll free at (866) 669-1768, to find out what is currently scheduled.

Jim Linnell

Well thank you for that welcome!

Mostly what I'm interested in is handbags, purses, wallets, bracelets, that sort of thing, even belts perhaps-accessories I think more than clothing, at least right now. I'm pretty comfortable with sewing/fabric work but I'm interested to see what can be done with leather and how!! A gorgeous material with so many possibilities-and so accessible it seems here locally with a few good leather shops around.

I will check on this forum and the templates as Mike suggested, this seems like a great place for learning! I'll also give Tandy a call soon to check to see if they are indeed holding a workshop there as Jim suggested-which would be ideal!

Thanks Ken, Mike and Jim for your help! And I'll keep you posted with what I find !

Maria

Maria, first let's welcome you to the forum.....Welcome Maria....

Okay now that we got that out of the way, I'm from Calgary and found out quite some time ago that things in this city are not like they are in the US. Our Tandy store does not hold classes like they do down south. I've talked to the manager maybe only 3 times in all the times I've been there, and he was not interested in much more than selling product. Don't get me wrong though, they are very knowledgeable people there, and the staff are very friendly, they are just not into teaching.

Other than myself, I've only found one other person here that really does leatherwork as a business, and he's in the Crossroads Flee Market making and selling belts and little "Native" trinkets.

Now don't go getting discouraged or anything, because you have come to the right place, some of the BEST leatherworkers in the world are here, and are more than willing to help anyone out as needed.

What are you looking at learning in regards to leatherwork? This would be a big help in knowing if I could help you in anyway, seeing as I can probably see your house from mine...LOL. If it is saddles, I have no idea how they make those things, hand laced clothing....well, I'm pretty sure you're not going to find anyone other than me in Southern Alberta, I do know someone in Wembley that is very good as well.

So give us an idea, and we will all see what we can do to help out.

Ken

hello Maria, 

i know this is a veery old post but I was wondering if you ever found someone to teach you leather working in Calgary. I am new  to leatherwork although i am a sewer too(fabric). i am looking for someone to learn from also. thank you