UKRay

Falconry Pouch Reference Required - Can You Help?

I've just spent several hours searching the web for pictures of a falconry pouch. Other than a few commercially made items I've drawn a blank. Has anyone got any clues, hints, links, whatever? I'd be very grateful for some help.

Ideally I'd like to get some idea how falconry pouches have evolved so historic pics would be very useful. Links to modern pouches, carved/stamped pouches - whatever you can find! lol.

Many thanks as always,

Ray

Hi Ray, nice bags you showed recently on facebook......but onto your quiry, I'm afraid all I can come up with is a few pictures from a falconry book of a bag, seeing as its a pounch you asked for it might be different but you never knew.

They look similar to a gamekeepers shot bag but if you have'nt handled one of them either then I guess thats not much use, hopfully the picture with the gloves will give you some idea of dimensions....

post-182-0-94765600-1355840631_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-93934700-1355840650_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-87416300-1355840848_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words and picture, Paul. I believe I saw that one in my online travels. It gives me the size pretty well. Now all I need is some ideas on what to do with the one I have on order. This 'making stuff' is harder than I thought...

What may be useful is an image of one of the British royals about the time of Henry VIII with glove, bird and pouch on display - I have seen it before but just can't find it now. Anyone got any thoughts?

Ray

Ray - Have you searched for Hawking Bags? Would they be the same thing? Some medieval ones at http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/189767426#/d3i7opw, but there are many on Google images. Perhaps not Tudor, though!

Terry

I don't know about leatherwork being hard, things like this is just part of the journey, whats hard is searching the net for idea's of some one else dream item, making it's....well fun!

I'm afraid I've only come up with images like the other guys have mentioned, apart from a poster showing old bags/pouches showing that they had a shape similar to a large ballon, i.e narrow by the flap and wide down the bottom, most seem similar to a kilt bag although they have holes etc, as seen in my photos for the falconers gear such as their leashes and the birds hat thing, plus I noticed that the flap is sawn so as it does not fully open up the top obviously so that the strap hole is not interfered with.

In the end, if their is no definitive description or photo's or designs of the item , then I suspect your best guess on the info gathered along with your skills will produce an item your customer should be pleased with - try these people they should know something - http://www.birdsofpreycentre.co.uk/

Paul

Here's a pic from a falconry museum in Austria I visited in 08. Sorry I don't have more pics. I wasn't into leatherwork back then.

post-34726-0-32451000-1355930502_thumb.j