ClayB

Competition Room Pictures from the Columbus Show

Ok, for all you that have been waiting, here's the pictures from the competition room at the show. Thanks Johanna for taking the time to take these and put them up so quickly!

competition room pictures

I haven't gone through them all yet, but so far I have seen ribbons on David's seats and Kathy's mule and several of Tina's items. Congrats!!!!

Edited by ClayB

Sorry everyone, try the link again, I think I fixed it.

Great work folks! I'm proud to see work from people I know from here!

Art

What is a white ribbon?

Tom

Blue- First place

Red- Second place

White-Third place

Purple- Best of catagory

Thanks Clay! I got a third place I think!

Tom

Thanks Clay! I got a third place I think!

Tom

Way to go Tom!!!!! And Tina and everyone else that won something. Good show Mates!!!!!

Slainte (cheers)

Ah!!! Slainte mhath (sorry I'm out of Bushmills)

Good health!

Yeah congrats Tina and all others who have won!!

I was laughing to myself earlier when I saw that Tinas Dionysos mug was next to my flask. Two Swedes at the comp, drinking items (whisky-wine), one Scottish themed and the other Greece themed, sitting next to each other. It's a small world and I'm glad to sit next such a wonderful artist and comrade, such as you all are!!

I wanna express my personal gratitude to John K Karnes aka indypbear who not only encouraged me to enter but also has helped me alot to sort out the details and getting the contribution entered. I'm sorry I couldn't send anything else just for the fun of it but things has been really wild (well I work too long on every project) with orders lately. My social life is only here and on myspace for the passed month and a half.

Tom

VERY Cool!!! Congrats too all who entered and were recognized for their fantastic work!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Someday I'll have to send some of my stuff, be good for comedy relief if nothin else!

Ah!!! Slainte mhath (sorry I'm out of Bushmills)

Good health!

Yeah congrats Tina and all others who have won!!

I was laughing to myself earlier when I saw that Tinas Dionysos mug was next to my flask. Two Swedes at the comp, drinking items (whisky-wine), one Scottish themed and the other Greece themed, sitting next to each other. It's a small world and I'm glad to sit next such a wonderful artist and comrade, such as you all are!!

I wanna express my personal gratitude to John K Karnes aka indypbear who not only encouraged me to enter but also has helped me alot to sort out the details and getting the contribution entered. I'm sorry I couldn't send anything else just for the fun of it but things has been really wild (well I work too long on every project) with orders lately. My social life is only here and on myspace for the passed month and a half.

Tom

Congrats to you to Tom...yeah, we ended up being on in the same category, small world and...I Love your braiding, it is flawless:-)

I want to say congrats to the rest of the people here that won in Ohio, supernice time and people. Tom, you should try to get yourself over here, you would love it, all the people, the nicest bunch of humans you'll ever meet:-)

Congrats to you to Tom...yeah, we ended up being on in the same category, small world and...I Love your braiding, it is flawless:-)

I want to say congrats to the rest of the people here that won in Ohio, supernice time and people. Tom, you should try to get yourself over here, you would love it, all the people, the nicest bunch of humans you'll ever meet:-)

Thanks alot Tina! Oh yeah it was really cool to see your Dionysos right next to mine.

I'm really glad to hear you like my braiding. That was my first braiding ever except for a teststrip of 4". I used the teststrip to make sure that I got is as tight as I possibly could. I wore out two needles with that flask ha ha that was fun. I did no splicing because I hadn't got a clue how to do it.

I saw your excellent necklace won (first?) price so big congrats to that an how did the Dionysos go?. It's hard to tell if the red ribbon to the side is for your mug or not. I think your mug is way nicer than the flask, the flask is not flawless wich I suspect your mug is.

I allready know what a great bunch o' people leatherworkers are, the hope of humanity!!!

Tom

I did notice that Tina entered in "Open". Thankfully, there are rules about entering too low, and if you don't move yourself up, they bump you up involuntarily.

The Peoples Choice Award and the Best of Show were the same project, also entered in the Open category. (The dolls in the rocker- even the "wooden" floor was made of leather) Lonestar leather Guild won the traveling trophy. The revolving leather globe was a nice touch! The tables seemed a bit bare his year- usually Bluegrass Guild and Central Indiana can be counted on to put up a good fight! I didn't go to the raffles, but I wish there had been more of them. It's hard for guilds to make expenses without raffle donations and ticket sales.

It was great to meet some new folks, put faces to familiar folks and say Hi to old friends. People seemed to have heard of LW, and they said nice things about the site. Maybe a few will get home and look us up? The BLCO made a cd of the winning entries with their ribbons and makers, done by a professional photographer. When it is available, I will put it on the Buckeye site. They did an outstanding job hosting the show- every detail was well thought out, and the hospitality was extraordinary. What a grwat group of leatherworkers we have in Leather Land.

More pics are coming, I have to clear out my camera.

Johanna

Thanks alot Tina! Oh yeah it was really cool to see your Dionysos right next to mine.

I'm really glad to hear you like my braiding. That was my first braiding ever except for a teststrip of 4". I used the teststrip to make sure that I got is as tight as I possibly could. I wore out two needles with that flask ha ha that was fun. I did no splicing because I hadn't got a clue how to do it.

I saw your excellent necklace won (first?) price so big congrats to that an how did the Dionysos go?. It's hard to tell if the red ribbon to the side is for your mug or not. I think your mug is way nicer than the flask, the flask is not flawless wich I suspect your mug is.

I allready know what a great bunch o' people leatherworkers are, the hope of humanity!!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I did good over all in Ohio,. 2 blue and 3 red ribbons...Dionysos/Bachus came in as number 2 (red ribbon). My gargoyle bag won another blue ribbon so now I think I might retire it...maybe:-)

One of the judges told me that you need to have 5 first places in open international competition then they bump you up to advanced class. In advanced class you have to get 10 first places to get up into the Masters class. Then...you can get bumped down too (?) if you do not win/take a place (1,2,3) in your new class...I hope I didn't missunderstand it all???

So, I need 3 more of the blue ribbons before you get rid of me in open:-)

I'm so happy for you Tina! Yeah better move up to help us lesser beings ha ha. Nah seriously I'm VERY satisfied with the third place and got my ego boost of the day.

I'm actually a bit worried how I'm gonna get time to get stuff together for next one. I don't wanna cut time from my fav forum either.

Since I deal with shipping costs it'd be most economic to send many contributions for every show until I get up a bit...or convinced I'd better save my money for good;-)

Ribbons and advancing in comps is good for marketing so definetly wanna move up to advanced some day but it's a long way and stuff can happen. Loosing an arm at work and all stuff you can't expect. It's all in the compass and I don't maneuver that one, I just follow it.

I thought it was just 3 wins to move up..oh crap;-) Shipping rates just went up;-)

It's good thing they mov you up automatically, it's a bit tricky with the coloured ribbons and keeping track wich colour is what for me. I tend to mix stuff like that up.

Thanks to Johanna aswell! You've done a great job with putting up images and all..and fast too.

I hope I get the chance to someday meet you and shake hand..but first I need to study the russians at the baltic sea history;-)

Tom

I'm so happy for you Tina! Yeah better move up to help us lesser beings ha ha. Nah seriously I'm VERY satisfied with the third place and got my ego boost of the day.

I'm actually a bit worried how I'm gonna get time to get stuff together for next one. I don't wanna cut time from my fav forum either.

Since I deal with shipping costs it'd be most economic to send many contributions for every show until I get up a bit...or convinced I'd better save my money for good;-)

Ribbons and advancing in comps is good for marketing so definetly wanna move up to advanced some day but it's a long way and stuff can happen. Loosing an arm at work and all stuff you can't expect. It's all in the compass and I don't maneuver that one, I just follow it.

I thought it was just 3 wins to move up..oh crap;-) Shipping rates just went up;-)

It's good thing they mov you up automatically, it's a bit tricky with the coloured ribbons and keeping track wich colour is what for me. I tend to mix stuff like that up.

Thanks to Johanna aswell! You've done a great job with putting up images and all..and fast too.

I hope I get the chance to someday meet you and shake hand..but first I need to study the russians at the baltic sea history;-)

Tom

An idea for you Tom,

Send over a few items (+3?) and let them tour here for a year or so. As long as I still live here I'll take care of them and this way you only have to spend shipping within the US...Just something to maybe think about?

Hm that is a nice idea!

Do you mean they can be entered to next show aswell alltough they was in the previous one?

I know contribs. has to be made within the last year to qualify.

Now I feel like starting with something hmm need more money to get materials.

Edit: I just realised we're getting very off topic here so I PM this last post to you and we can go from there.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Most competition pieces were outstanding pieces of craftsmanship. The winners were spectacular. I voted for the dolls as best of show (People's Choice) Not sure if they won. I think they did but I don't know for certain.

The dolls were simply mind blowing... all the way down to the cameo on mom and the stockings and shoelaces. Simply superior work down to the finest details. I was very impressed. I also loved the wedding gown and the Australian turned wooden bowl with an incredible colored leather interior. Those were the other members of my top three.

But there were so many extraordinary works it is a shame to even have to select a winner. They were all winners in one way or another.

:specool::specool::specool:

Just wanted to say it was so nice to get to meet everyone that I did, and am so sorry to miss all of you whom I didn't get a chance see.

Congratulations to everyone who entered and who entered and won a prize! All of the items that I saw were just beautiful! Very inspiring!

I got a chance to take a class from Jeff Mosby, and can't say enough nice things about him and his class. If you get a chance to take one of his classes it is well worth your time.

The shopping was great! So nice to be able to see, touch and try tools instead of just net ordering.

What a wonderful, friendly bunch of folks from here and there! Can't wait for the next one!

Crystal

Congrats all you winners! Wonderful work.

Art

Speaking of Advanced, my notebook was bumped up to advanced last year in Ft. Worth and took 1st, this year they made it official, they put me in Advanced officially with a certificate. My notebook took 2nd place this year.

randy

Congrats Randy!

So please explain how the bumped up or down and officially in a catagory works. This is the first time I have entered anything in one of these "official" international guild shows. I am anxious to see the judges comments to see what to do for the next one.

Do we have to wait until this time next year or are there other shows in between? Seems like I have seen some others posted by other guilds.

John D

John, when you get your entry back there will be a tag with the comments from the judges. You did win, by the way, but I can't remember where you placed. I just remember poking my husband in the ribs at the banquet saying "That's the Wild Irish Rose!" and he just gave me a blank look because he had no idea what I was talking about.

When people who go to the show get their critiques, they can either open them and let others see what the judges said, or leave them stapled shut, or open them and stick them in their pocket. It's bad manners to open someone's tag w/o permission.

The next show is in Indianapolis next fall, but some guilds do have regional events. Those shows are not Federation sponsored, but it's the same crowd. This past Spring Calumet put on a show in Michigan City, Indiana. The Federation shows can only be entered by members of guilds that belong to the IFoLG, guild shows are usually have open competition.

There are three classes of competition- Masters, Advanced and Open. When you start racking up certificates and awards, you get automatically moved to the next highest category. In guild and Federation shows, the host guild has the final say on everything. Hope that answered some questions. What did you enter? Maybe it will jog my brain?

Johanna

Congrats to all that won!

i should of held on to that tiger seat but, he really needed it back asap :(

i'll have to see about entering something on of these days.

what do you have to do to enter something??

Thank you Johanna,

That helps. I am just trying to get a handle on all this as we discussed before.

I entered the miniature Buscadero rig. Looks like it did win a wee something. (blush) (rubs toe of boot in dirt).

Aw shucks now, I wasn't askin for anyone to take notice.

So I entered in the advanced division for the first time and only the one entry. If I understand correctly from some of the other posts I would need to enter enough to win 9 more times before getting moved up? Does any win count? Or if I remember something you mentioned before there has to be something extraordinary for the judges to make the determination.

Am I finally getting the gist of this through me thick Irish head?

John D

One more question - If myself or anyone else that entered this year does an extraordinary piece before the next show, can we enter in the next higher division or do we stay in the one entered this year? Leave it up to the judges?

Edited by thewildirishrose