GarrusV

Can Full Grain Leather Achieve This Look?

Hi guys,

I'm aiming to complete a project to end off with a look like saddleback leather's tobacco briefcase, and use full grain leather for durability.

front.jpg

Just itching to see if I can achieve this myself!

But I have talked to several peeps who trade leather, and they told me it's not possible to achieve the rigidity or looks using full grain. To achieve the look of the photo above, crazy horse leather must be used. If full grain leather is used, it will look like the following.

example.jpg

The bag directly above looks like of sloppy to me....

I'm confused at this stage, are my sources correct that full grain can only achieve the look of the second image? If full grain is possible, what kind of finish / tanning must I ask for?

Can full grain be used for my project? And is 6-7 oz leather enough to achieve the rigidity and look?

Edited by GarrusV

Saddle Leather – Sometimes known as crazy horse and is made from applying special waxes to surface top grain or full grain leather. The effect here is that when rubbed the color will change and does not immediately reverse giving it an antique look.

so it is full grain or top grain leather to start with. The picture you have of full grain leather is not what all full grain leather looks like. It can be smooth instead of having a pebble finish. In fact the pebble finish is often pressed into the leather. Good leather will work for your project.

As for thickness you need to define "rigid". Get some pieces of 6/7 and 8/9 and see which one meets your needs. depending on the design and quality of the leather both could work.

Take a look at this website for information.

Edited by mlapaglia

All leather is full grained. It becomes suede when it is split and top grain removed and processed more in the tannery for a different type of leather. The leather used for the bag looks to be a 6oz. oil tanned leather and you can most definitely achieve the same look that is in the photo. The attachment for the handle, snaps, d-rings looks like it has been split to 4oz. material. The handle itself looks to be 6oz.

Personally on the next bag I would move the buckles farther up on the bag and shorten the flap of the bag a couple of inches and add some decoration to the top half of the buckle closure but it is your bag not mine. On this type of leather you will not apply any sealer or finish to it. Just don't get any big scratches on it before the customer picks it up.

Hope this helps.