frank207

Cleaning Leather Before Dyeing

I have read recently that you should clean the leather with 'oxalic acid crystals' before dyeing. Is there any other homemade solution that can be used thats just as affective?

Thanks

Frank

I've never tried oxalic acid but I've had good results from lemon juice

Interesting question as I have never routinely cleaned my leather with anything before dyeing - It hasn't needed it. Okay, occasionally there might be a few waxy spots that respond to a drop of methylated spirit but these are few and far between. Have I misunderstood the problem?

Ferret,

Do you use the lemon juice straight or do you mix it with something?

UKRay,

No you did not mis-understand the problem. The strap for my First belt is a little spotty, maybe from handling it.

Thanks for the input

Frank

Ferret,

Do you use the lemon juice straight or do you mix it with something?

UKRay,

No you did not mis-understand the problem. The strap for my First belt is a little spotty, maybe from handling it.

Thanks for the input

Frank

Use the lemon juice straight. Just put some in a little dish, and sponge it on. Wipe it with a clean sponge when you're done. You'll be surprised at how your sponge looks when you're done with it.

Kathy

Use the lemon juice straight. Just put some in a little dish, and sponge it on. Wipe it with a clean sponge when you're done. You'll be surprised at how your sponge looks when you're done with it.

Kathy

doesn't that make it sticky

doesn't that make it sticky

Lemon juice, like most citric juices are natural bleaching agents. Vinegar is a stronger version and will clean absolutely anything but I wouldn't use it on leather, it may smell a little strange for awhile :) A number of folks have been a little afraid to use the Oxalic Acid crystals, dissolved in water, by the way. I have a plastic container with the Oxalic solution, I notice no smell or gas off and it doesn't burn my hands, I normally wear thin rubber gloves when handling it. I rinse the leather with clear water after the application. I can assure you, there is a lot of junk on that leather you don't see unless you are one of the few folks that have no "oil" in your skin. Packaging residue is another problem some times. Just clean it, you won't need to worry about it then head_hurts_kr.gif

ferg

Oxalic acid's also found in rhubarb, rubbing leather with a stick of rhubarb seems an odd thing to do though.

What is the proper way to clean the leather without messing up the tooling?

Kevin.

I don't really need to clean the leather in most cases unless I have a greasy spot or need to remove a finish to re-dye another colour. When that happens I use a bit of cheapo nail polish remover on a sponge or cotton ball. Works great for me and it's easy to find.