Slickbald

Looking for a head knife

I need a new head knife. I'm not spending a dime on stainless steel blades. Does anyone out there make a head knife with high carbon tool steel? I'm looking for a Rockwell above 55. Pretty doesn't count-

Hi Chris,

not sure if you've heard of D2 steel but it makes for a very nice head knife blade. It has a high chromium content which allows it to be sharpened to a very sharp edge and to maintain it's edge longer than most steels. I have some knives that came from the current Gomph-Hackbarth company that use this steel and am very happy with them. If you're interested, call Lonnie at (520)642-3891 I think they are selling for $95.00 now.

Darc

knives.jpg

I was hoping for some cobalt, but chromium is a good second. I'll give them a call- thanks!

Slickbald,

I highly recommend calling Bob Douglas at Douglas Tools. He carries several of the old brands and is very knowledgable. He knows when they're good or not and how to keep them that way. I now use old Gomphs and Rose knives for the very reason you stated.

Hope this helps....

Douglas Tools

307-737-2222

Sheridan, WY

I was hoping for some cobalt, but chromium is a good second. I'll give them a call- thanks!

I had a Colbalt steel round knife once and was not very happy with it. Cutting heavy leather would make the blade chip. They were very small chips that you had to see with a magnify glass but chips none the less. Got tired of having to hone the blade after this happened. Finnally sold it.

I would like to see some of the new Gomph knifes. I hope they are at the show in Indanapois.

Randy

Good info on the cobalt- My cobalt skinning knife (Dawson Knives, Durango CO) hasn't had that issue, but it's a different application. I bought a Hackbarth 5" with the D2 tool steel. Looking forward to it's arrival! Thanks for the guidance all!