lindsey

how do you get twisted leather fringe????

I make chinks and stuff for my grandaughters and they love the twisted fringe look how do you do that??

well a friend of mine cuts the frindges out then wets them and puts wt. on them and lets them dry. I think have to over twist them a little i thing.

Russell

Just wet it and twist each one and let them dry that way. If you want a more extreme twist you can tack each piece of fringe to a board at the end to hold it in place till it's dry.

Just to be clear are you asking about corkscrew twisted fringe or are you asking about "Idaho twist"? The Idaho twist is just a slit braid at the top of each fringe. Just cut a slit and pull the fringe through. You can either pull it from front to back or back to front. Just make sure you pull them all the same way. Also make sure that each slit goes down the leg on a straight line so they are all lined up nice.

Use a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water instead of plain water, twist each fringe tighter than you really want it they'll relax some, put a finger at the base of the fringe so you can't accidentally pull a weak one off, pull and hold it a few seconds and move on . They'll stay forever.

Use a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water instead of plain water, twist each fringe tighter than you really want it they'll relax some, put a finger at the base of the fringe so you can't accidentally pull a weak one off, pull and hold it a few seconds and move on . They'll stay forever.

Is that rubbing alcohol? I've just always used plain water, but if there's a better way I'd like to know about it. Do you know how it works?Does it just dry out the leather? Thanks,

Is that rubbing alcohol? I've just always used plain water, but if there's a better way I'd like to know about it. Do you know how it works?Does it just dry out the leather? Thanks,

The alcohol allows the leather to open up and stretch that's what you want so it will take a new shape. It's like the old trick of spraying new boots with Windex, it's the alcohol in the window cleaner that allows it to stretch. You can buy what's called Shoe Stretch from shoe findings distributors that's already mixed or you can mix your own. It is just rubbing alcohol. Watch for water marks above the fringe on darker colors, soak the fringe in a pan of it and spray bottle above the water line a ways will help avoid water marks.

Is there a specific leather (weight / type) that will hold the twist, or does any leather hold it? I'd like to put the twisted fringe on a bag and I like the twisted look --- Thank you for your help : )