LLWork

Laser Engraved Motorcycle Seat.

This is the seat I made for the guy who runs the laser business I use from time to time. It's not necessarily my preferred method over tooling, but it still came together pretty nicely.

0mjMWXv.jpg

PxieS6z.jpg

Edited by LLWork

Very nice.

ferg

Beautiful!!!!

Exquisite detail... and cool bobber! Lacing is a very nicely done as well.

How did you achieve the two-tone?

Very nice.

ferg

Beautiful!!!!

Thanks guys!

Exquisite detail... and cool bobber! Lacing is a very nicely done as well.

How did you achieve the two-tone?

I tried a layer of Tan Kote to resist the stain, but it didn't work(as you can kind of tell on the tip of the right wing, and the switchblade). So I brush dyed all the small spots and then used a cloth to get the rest.

Agreed Choice!

great design! really cool!

How does the pattern on laser-engraved leather wear? Is the lasered part matt or glossy? Can the depth of engraving be varied? I'm guessing with computer control any design is possible. I'm looking for something for a motorcycle seat. I'd like it to be subtle, black leather with no dye, but an intricate design.

Thanks,

gary

LLWORK what part of Utah are you from? I use smuglabs as well.

How does the pattern on laser-engraved leather wear? Is the lasered part matt or glossy? Can the depth of engraving be varied? I'm guessing with computer control any design is possible. I'm looking for something for a motorcycle seat. I'd like it to be subtle, black leather with no dye, but an intricate design.

It doesn't seem to have any effect on the wear of the leather being laser engraved. It could be likened to people who use woodburners on leather. It's more of a matte finish than the rest of the leather, it is basically burned flesh so it's no longer smooth to help refract light. The depth could be varied by using multiple passes, but that seems unnecessary as it would be twice as expensive that way(for the cost of the laser), and only be marginally deeper. But it is an excellent way to accomplish intricate designs.

Kind of stumped about "black leather with no dye" though. I use veg-tan leather, but I can dye stuff a solid black easy enough.

LLWORK what part of Utah are you from? I use smuglabs as well.

Haha, right on! Brett's the man. The dude's a master of his craft. I'm in SLC.

Edited by LLWork

Nice seat and bike!

Thanks for the reply. I meant that I wouldn't want any of the design filled in, so it would just be a matt black outline on a black seat.

Anyway, the above seat is a beaut, the coloring perfectly compliments the colors on the tank and the rusty rear fender.

gary

very very cool!

Chris

I salute you !!!

one word of advice, if your making motorcycle seats, you don't want to dye your seats black. It rubs off and your customer will be walking around with a black butt. They won't be happy! There is NOTHING that will prevent the rub off, trust me on this one guys, lots of guys say they can prevent it with satin sheen, or super sheen. Well as soon as that sheen rubs off the black will rub off also. AVOID BLACK DYE.

Any black seats that I do I use factory dyed black leather with no tooling.....

Dave Theobald

I don't mean to rag on your seat, its very nicely done, but, I've never seen a seat done that way.....The graphic and lettering are upside down from the usual way of doing things.

Dave Theobald