Sign in to follow this  
spurdude101

Lining A Western Style Holster

so I have played around with this and did one by gluing in the lining prior to folding over for stitching. and of course the lining bunches up because when the fold takes place the distance shortens. is there a secret to installing a liner, and how much larger the pattern cut, than if no liner is used. as I found out the hard way the holster fits the gun much tighter with a liner. thanks Al

Cut the liner too big. Fold the holster and glue the liner in as close to the finished shape as possible. Trim off the excess.

Aaron

If you contact cement the liner to the outside, . . . completely, . . . it will not bunch up.

Gluing it around the edges, . . . or sporadically, . . . will result in "bunching".

The other trick that helps in that 180 degree bend though, . . . skive off some of the leather on the inside of both pieces where they make that curve.

I've never had any holster I made with double thickness of leather "bunch up", because I did all of the above.

May God bless,

Dwight

I make holsters and knife sheaves and always line them with thin 1-2 oz leather. I use Weldwood gel contact cement. I apply it with cheap paint brushes. I cut the lining large and after applying the cement and letting it dry I roll up the liner and roll it back on the leather I am making the holster or sheath with using a small hand held roller to smooth out everything. I never have any bunching up this way.