ETW Grumpy

Trouble Handstitching With Paralysis

Double posted this.

Edited by ETW Grumpy

I guess you could create some sort of belt / suspender set up to the back of the chair. Wear it and stop yourself from going too far forward? I don't know just an idea.

Hi Levi,

Do you think moving the pony instead of having to lean might help? If so, I recently came across a company named panavise that makes a lot of different vise models. Some allow for the item held to rotate/swivel/lean. You could mount the vise on a workbench and and mount the pony on the vise.

The vises are not cheap but it would be way cheaper than any pony already mounted on such a device (Fred Moreau makes a really nice one and there's also a seller on ebay with a similar item - both are really expensive).

I hope this helps or that someone else will have a good idea for you! :)

I have the same problem. I have a stitching pony but can't use it as intended. I as I'm sure you do need my forearms or one elbow resting on something when leaning forward. I don't awl one hole at a time, I'll do 20 or so then pick up the needles and sew then do it again until I'm done. I've been intending to modify the pony and c clamp it to my table but to be honest I've gotten so used to it I don't believe the pony would be much faster. I've watched sewing videos where they use the stitching pony and I'm pretty much as fast as they are. But I've been doing it this way for 10 years, I think you'll find as you did learning to live in a wheelchair once your used to doing something it becomes a "normal" smoother process. I know this doesn't help much but as you get back into leather work you'll notice things will get easier and more natural as you go. Good luck Troy

Wearing tri-focals drove me crazy because the small intermediate part of the lens was where I needed to position to see. I went to a single lens pair of glasses that put me in the right focus plane so I don't have to crane forward to find my focal plane. For what it's worth. ~Bill

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Matt- I've given this some thought and it has it's merits.

Avgvstvs - I'll check that company out.

Troy - You're right, I have to have one point of contact when leaning. Do you yours in a pony or no?

Bill - I agree, the trifocals are tough to get used to. I went to a single view set of glasses and a separate pair of bifocals.

Edited by ETW Grumpy

Troy - You're right, I have to have one point of contact when leaning. Do you yours in a pony or no?

No, It's been sitting on a shelf unused for years. I find it easier to prepunch my holes before I start sewing than to wrestle with the damn thing.

No, It's been sitting on a shelf unused for years. I find it easier to prepunch my holes before I start sewing than to wrestle with the damn thing.

I just finished stitching a wallet that I started using the pony and finished prepunching and stitching without it. That may be the route I go in the future, just have to make sure my edges are really even before I start.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input.