Sign in to follow this  
pete

a tip or two for all of you

Lately have been asked to make a number of phone cases. I have had some trouble with the velcro sticking on the closures. Most want velcro instead of a snap where I have also put on a concho. Some want to stick and some don't even when I rough up the grain before sticking.

I have used gorilla glue, barge, master, crazy glue, etc in the past, but the best that I have found by far is the "CA" glue that my father-in-law uses for his balsa model planes. It is as thin as water and sets up immediately even over antique, RTC, neats, neatlac.

It is SO thin that you put the pieces together and put a drop along the edge. It seeps in like you were soldering!

I've used it to bond leather (permanently!) instead of cement as it holds better( but it isn't very bendable)

It's not REAL cheap ($3.00 for 1/2 oz) but it really goes a long way.

Google CA GLUE or just buy it from Hobby Lobby or ANY store that sells remote control cars, planes, etc. They just call it CA glue.

Also- since not all phones are the same size- when I make a case and it is a little tight I swab the inside with alcohol , wrap the phone in a few layers of saran wrap and shove it in for awhile.

This is a shoe makers trick to stretch shoes.

pete

Pete:

Super Glue is a CA (cyanoacrylate) product and you canget it anywhere. It works really well to "sew" cuts in your fingers back togeather as well although it does burn a little at first!

Arturo

It was actually created as a field dressing for the military, which is why it sticks skin so well.

'Zap-a-gap' is the best brand.

Karl

Pete:

Super Glue is a CA (cyanoacrylate) product and you canget it anywhere. It works really well to "sew" cuts in your fingers back togeather as well although it does burn a little at first!

Arturo

I know that it is super glue- but why does it work and stick so much better? I have had to replace "SUPER GLUE"(tm.) 3-4 times before I used the CA for model airplanes/balsa boats etc

Is it because it is thinner than the crazy glue/super glue that you see in the market,grocery store etc??

I have noticed that the stuff in the stores doesn't seem to stick like it used to. I know that luthiers use CA in little pipettes to repair cracks and such. My guess is the store bought stuff has been diluted just like candybars have gotten smaller and packaging has gotten bigger :guitar: