Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster1200

I need some help for a christmas project

I am planning on building a tool bag for my Father in Law's 1969 FLH. But he is about 1400 miles away and I don't have a measurement for the distance between the forks. So I was hoping their would be someone on this forum who would be able to give me the measurements. I have never build a tool bag so this is all going to be new for me. So any other measurements that I would need to complete this project would be much appreciated. I will post pictures when I am finished. If pictures of the bike would help just let me know

Ok so I decided to just post some pictures. And after looking at the picture I decided I really don't even know how this bag that he is currently using is attached to the bike. So I think I need a lot more help here than I thought, such as how I am going to have to attach it to the bike and so forth. So you might just have to treat me like a complete beginner and give me all the info you can that would be much appreciated.Compressed Bike.jpg

I hope the picture is not to big

How do I make it so it just fits the screen?

post-6707-12597283384_thumb.jpg

Edited by yotebuster1200

If you can get the motorcycle pattern set from tandy and then you can use that as your basis. Also take a look around here on this section for the bags and see what others have done. There is also a great video someone did Ill have to link to if I can remember where its at.

Found it, Ian did it, couldnt remember which motorcycle guru did it lol.

Read thru this thread. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14271&st=0&p=87016&hl=tool%20bag&fromsearch=1entry87016

Edited by MADMAX22

Madmax22 has a good idea, the Tandy motorcycle accessories pattern pack is really useful. :thumbsup:

Last of the slab side motors,cool! I measured the wife's wide glide and the outside to outside distance is 11 5/8". The inside is 8 3/8". Hope this helps you out. See if you can find an IPB ( Illustrated Parts Breakdown) of a Wide Glide front end,too. There are pics in manuals or parts books. These might give you an idea on how you can mount it.

Thanks for all the help so far. I have seen that video of the tool bag on youtube a few times and it is probably where I am getting most my ideas for the bags. In the video would that bag end up connecting to the forks and if it does what keeps it from moving down and riding on the front fender or in my father in laws bike no fender so on the wheel. in the picture it looks like he might have a couple braces under his bag to hold it up.

Thats the thing with the bikes you gotta take a look at it or get some measurements and see what will work. For the toolbag I made for a buddies roadking windsheild I used the same design as the fork bag but we made a aluminum bracket that I covered with leather and put some strap loops on it. It worked out pretty good.

Be a little inventive and figure out what will work best for the application.

I think I am going to have to dig around and see if I can find some more pictures of his bike without the tool bag that he has on it right now. If the bike was close I would take some measurements. I was hoping to be able to do this with out him knowing what I was up to but I might just have to break down and call for some measurments

How's your project coming along? Did you get the measurements to figure out how to mount it?