Sign in to follow this  
Wolf Tracker

Choices

I have been lurking around this forum for quite a while and now I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for through a search. I have been doing leatherwork for about 2 years . Mainly western style holsters and gunbelts with an occasional modern holster and rifle sling also. I am also about to try making some chaps. After hand sewing three gunbelts and a couple lined slings I am ready to try my hand at a machine. I have found someone who is selling two machines about twenty minutes from my house. One is a Singer 111w155 with a clutch motor, table, thread stand, and light for $625. The other is a Consew 225 with clutch motor and table for $725. The Consew according to the add has had $200 dollars of professional repairs, parts replaced and cleaning in Feb of this year. From the picture it looks to be in better aesthetic shape than the Singer. My questions are:

1. I understand that they are almost identical machines but is one better than the other?

2. Since I work mostly with veg-tan will either mark the backside of the leather?

3. I've read that these will sew up to 3/8. Most of my work is about 8 to 16 ounces of sandwiched leather. Will this be a struggle for the machines or will it work OK? Will this work for chaps that will probably be in the 6 oz range? I have read that changing to a servo motor and reducer will help and that is probably the route I would take if it that is the case.

4. Are these good prices? The add says that they will consider all offers. What is a fair price on these?

5. What should I look for when I go to see these machines in person?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Rich

Edited by Wolf Tracker

Your objective is to make holsters and belts. Right? I have a great 111w155 that I paid $325 for the machine, table, and motor. I have no idea what they are worth. that's MY COST.!

Its not for holsters.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a nice machine for chaps and light belt work, not heavy stuff.

No idea or opinion on the other machine!

Kevin

Kevin Thanks for the reply. I had figured it wouldn't work for holsters. I could still hand stitch those. I broke my hand a few years back and it gets painful if I sew for long periods of time without taking a rest so I would like it for the belts and anything that has a long stitch line. Would it still be able to do 8-12 oz or is that to heavy for it?

Wolf,

I have a 11W156 and I frequently sew veg tan liners (3 to 4 oz.) onto 1/4" thick bridle or latigo belt blanks. The machine handles it no problem using 138 thread with a 23 needle. 8 to 12 oz should be no problem.

I changed to smooth presser feet and no issues with marking.

I got the machine dirt cheap from a friend, but I have been told by the mechanic that has been servicing it that it has a value of $600 easy. He personally has offered me $450 for it knowing he can get more.

Good luck,

I did 2 belts on my 111w155 this morning. 2 layer of 7oz with 138 thread in top and 92 in bobbin. It laid down a nice stitch even though I think that is a good bit beyond what it should do. I think a guy could run 207 on top without much trouble but I haven't tried it with this machine. I'm by no means a sewing machine expert like some here are just telling you what I did with mine this morning.

Wolf,

Was sewing some business card holders and wallet interiors tonight and thought about your question on capacity. Again, I'm not sure of all the differences between the 111w156 and the 111w155 other than the reverse but I grabbed a couple scraps of strap leather and sewed them together. I didn't take the time to change or readjust the machine so this is sewn at 9 spi with 92 thread and a 21 needle. The brown is the top side, the black is the bobbin side, and the other is to show the thickness of the two. I did not make a stitch groove or anything just ran it through. This is about maxed out though, because it is leaving marks on bottom but it was still feeding smoothly without help.

post-10239-091718200 1343545362_thumb.jp

Thanks to all of you for the information. It's been helpful. I am trying to set something up to go look at the machines. I'll keep you updated.