MHolzer

Pricing a Guitar strap

I was contacted by a gent looking for a custom bass guitar strap. The tooling is simple, not a big deal there. I've never made a guitar strap before and I was wondering what other people charge for theirs. He'd like it to be 72" long, with the name of his band tooled on the front (like I said, no biggie), and dyed black. What would you charge for such a piece?

I was contacted by a gent looking for a custom bass guitar strap. The tooling is simple, not a big deal there. I've never made a guitar strap before and I was wondering what other people charge for theirs. He'd like it to be 72" long, with the name of his band tooled on the front (like I said, no biggie), and dyed black. What would you charge for such a piece?

Is it going to be lined or padded? Or just the basic two-piece construction? I would expect to pay $50-70 for one with a two-piece construction and a stamped design. For a really nice one that is lined and/or padded, or is especially artfully done, I would expect to pay $90-120 or more. There are exceptions, of course, but that seems to be roughly the going rate.

Kate

Is it going to be lined or padded? Or just the basic two-piece construction? I would expect to pay $50-70 for one with a two-piece construction and a stamped design. For a really nice one that is lined and/or padded, or is especially artfully done, I would expect to pay $90-120 or more. There are exceptions, of course, but that seems to be roughly the going rate.

Kate

I'll ask to be sure, but he sent me a doodle, and it looks like a 1 piece. I'll also ask if he wants it lined/padded.

from what you say here.......minium $95.00. a very plain Strap, also take in consideration the width of the strap

from what Kate says it should go up to $125-$150

I M H O..

Edited by Luke Hatley

Im currently making one that is a two piece, tooled with initials, padded and fully lined with suede. The leather is 5oz.

Im doing this for a buddy at work and am giving him a good deal plus factoring in my lower experience with leather work am only charging $75. If I was doing this as a business and could turn out a little better quality I would have no issues charging $130 or so for this strap if not more. Thats probably still a good price considering the work going into it being hand stitched and all.

Now this is just a estimate, not a laid out time with hourly figured and all that just a off the top of my head figure.

I wouldn't make a guitar strap for any less than I'd make a belt. If there is no tooling that certainly helps keep costs down but.............................I don't think I'll make any guitar straps..... :no:

Bob

I wouldn't make a guitar strap for any less than I'd make a belt. If there is no tooling that certainly helps keep costs down but.............................I don't think I'll make any guitar straps..... :no:

Bob

Yeah I agree, theres more to them then meets the eye if you go even somewhat fancy.

from what you say here.......minium $95.00. a very plain Strap, also take in consideration the width of the strap

from what Kate says it should go up to $125-$150

I M H O..

Right, I should have mentioned he wants it 2 inches wide, which I suppose is fairly standard. I haven't heard from him yet this morning.

I charged $100 for this one, it was done for a buddy so he got the friends and family rate, he had no problem with the price especially once he saw it. It is lined, padded, extra wide.and handstitched.

3149166685_a83b4cf904_b.jpg

Edited by BradB

Pricing a guitar strap is quite a different matter if there is any carving involved. I also haven't taken into account that some people can charge more for their work than others.

I charged $100 for this one, it was done for a buddy so he got the friends and family rate, he had no problem with the price especially once he saw it. It is lined, padded, extra wide.and handstitched.

Oh, my, Brad... you could be charging a lot more for that kind of work.

Kate

Oh, my, Brad... you could be charging a lot more for that kind of work.

Kate

Thanks!

This was the friends and family price, not sure what I would charge a regular customer, what would you charge for it?

Thanks!

This was the friends and family price, not sure what I would charge a regular customer, what would you charge for it?

I dunno for sure (maybe some of you other guys who have sold a lot of guitar straps can provide better input), but considering the lettering is nicely hand-carved, the lining is nicely hand-stitched, and the overall quality of work quite good, I guess I'd be asking at least twice as much. That is a far cry from two plain straps that are cut, stamped, and looped together (with no stitching, carving, or lining material). Your friend got a very good deal, but that's what friends are for.

Kate

Start at $80-$90 for a plain jane strap and the upwards of 200 is not out of line, if it has all the bells and whistles. 2" wide is a bit on the skinny side, unless it widens over the shoulder. A padded 3" slider is one option for the shoulder area. I guess my point is there is a lot more to making a proper strap than most people would think. A top quality strap for an expensive instrument is as mandatory as is a top quality holster for an expensive weapon.

3149166685_a83b4cf904_b.jpg

Brad,

I hope he was a REALLY good friend because he stold it from you! :huh:

Bobby

Thanks!

Brad,

I don't know how much time you have in this strap, but it is very clean and crisp. The barbed wire border is well done, the custom tooled letters are well done. Your stitching looks very good. You said it was lined. If I were you I wouldn't accept a penny less than $300 for that strap. It's important to remember....you cannot compete with production products. What you have created is a CUSTOM made product made out of superior materials and to the exact requirements of the customer (even if he didn't have any, LOL!). Good job....demand more!

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Brad,

I don't know how much time you have in this strap, but it is very clean and crisp. The barbed wire border is well done, the custom tooled letters are well done. Your stitching looks very good. You said it was lined. If I were you I wouldn't accept a penny less than $300 for that strap. It's important to remember....you cannot compete with production products. What you have created is a CUSTOM made product made out of superior materials and to the exact requirements of the customer (even if he didn't have any, LOL!). Good job....demand more!

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Wow, thanks for the compliment and the info! I am always way to critical of my work, which makes pricing difficult...

A top quality strap for an expensive instrument is as mandatory as is a top quality holster for an expensive weapon.

I had not thought of it that way but you are right, thanks!

So I finally heard back from the guy and all he wants is a 72" strip of 2" wide leather dyed black with the name of his band tooled on it. No lining, padding, etc. I decided to charge $95 since it's such a simple piece (and because I've never made one before, it gets a "learning discount"). There's also a good chance of repeat business w/ the guy and his bandmates.

So I finally heard back from the guy and all he wants is a 72" strip of 2" wide leather dyed black with the name of his band tooled on it. No lining, padding, etc. I decided to charge $95 since it's such a simple piece (and because I've never made one before, it gets a "learning discount"). There's also a good chance of repeat business w/ the guy and his bandmates.

That sounds like a good price!

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just figured posting what I had done and getting everyones opinion on what it was worth would be of help to you!!

Make sure you post pictures of it when your done!!

As a suggestion, if you don't have a pattern, I went to a music store and got a cheap leather strap from fender for under $20 and used it as a starting pattern.

As a suggestion, if you don't have a pattern, I went to a music store and got a cheap leather strap from fender for under $20 and used it as a starting pattern.

That's a good idea :) I may give that a try.

You're welcome to use this pattern of mine. Just print it with no scaling, and it gives you four pages that, when laid end-to-end will give you an actual size pattern. (For those of you who have been waiting for me to fix this pattern so the whole thing would print out, I finally got around to it!)

guitarstrap02.pdf

Kate

guitarstrap02.pdf

You're welcome to use this pattern of mine. Just print it with no scaling, and it gives you four pages that, when laid end-to-end will give you an actual size pattern. (For those of you who have been waiting for me to fix this pattern so the whole thing would print out, I finally got around to it!)

guitarstrap02.pdf

Kate

Wow! Thanks so much!

So an update:

We agreed on $95 + shipping. He asked how we accept payment (PayPal or money order) and we haven't heard from him since. :thumbsdown:

Does that happen a lot to you who do lots of custom work?

this is my first guitar strap , i made it for a friend , he pays me 80 euro,s ( 100 dollars ?)

042.JPG

post-9755-1250857395_thumb.jpg