Sign in to follow this  
RichKat Leather

Leather Belt With Hair Still On It

I have been asked to make a leather belt with hair still on the leather. I have not tried this before and would appreciate any tips, pointers or advice towards this project.

Most belts are made with Veg-tan leather. A hair on leather would probably be a chrome-tanned leather.

I would suggest a layered belt with the veg-tan on the inside with the chrome-tan hair-on, sewn on the out side.

Just one way.

Most belts are made with Veg-tan leather. A hair on leather would probably be a chrome-tanned leather.

I would suggest a layered belt with the veg-tan on the inside with the chrome-tan hair-on, sewn on the out side.

Just one way.

Thanks Grampa Joel. Would I finish the edges the same as other belts?

If you put the Hair--on on the veg-tan you will be able to burnish the veg-tan , but probably will have a hard time getting the hair-on to finish. The chrome -tan( Hair-on leather) leather in my experience just wont take a burnish.

I've never made a whole belt with hair-on, but have made some with hair-on.

Here's what I would do.

1. cut the veg-tan belt as it is needed, and burnish the edges.

2. cut the hair-on a little larger, and glue on to the veg-tan. (You might try skiving the edges of the hair-on to a feathered edge, if the meat side is very thick.)

3. when the glue is dry, cut excess hair-on from the veg-tan piece. (I would angle the cutting device to an angle to cut the hair-on a little shorter than the burnished edge of the veg-tan.) If skived, and glued well this should give a pretty tight bonded clean edge.

4. scribe a stitch line on the Veg-tan( now the inside of the belt).and stitch it on.

5. Finish as needed.( punch holes, put buckle on etc.)

I hope this helps a little.

Joel

If you put the Hair--on on the veg-tan you will be able to burnish the veg-tan , but probably will have a hard time getting the hair-on to finish. The chrome -tan( Hair-on leather) leather in my experience just wont take a burnish.

I've never made a whole belt with hair-on, but have made some with hair-on.

Here's what I would do.

1. cut the veg-tan belt as it is needed, and burnish the edges.

2. cut the hair-on a little larger, and glue on to the veg-tan. (You might try skiving the edges of the hair-on to a feathered edge, if the meat side is very thick.)

3. when the glue is dry, cut excess hair-on from the veg-tan piece. (I would angle the cutting device to an angle to cut the hair-on a little shorter than the burnished edge of the veg-tan.) If skived, and glued well this should give a pretty tight bonded clean edge.

4. scribe a stitch line on the Veg-tan( now the inside of the belt).and stitch it on.

5. Finish as needed.( punch holes, put buckle on etc.)

I hope this helps a little.

Joel

Thank you will give it a try.

Richard