Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Redying item from brown to black

I've been asked if this was possible on a cowboy holster. I realize the products used are vital in answering this question. And when I know those details I'll post them up.

But for the sake of 'is it possible' - is it?

Black can be used to cover anything up. The question is...... is there a sealer on the old dye? If not then it's not only possible, it's easy.

singteck

Be sure to go over the piece with some type of leather stripper to remove any finish that may be on the piece. The dye will not penatrate the leather if there is a top coat finish.

Randy

Be sure to go over the piece with some type of leather stripper to remove any finish that may be on the piece. The dye will not penatrate the leather if there is a top coat finish.

Randy

I found that out the hard way. I finished one of my holsters with Fieblings Tan Kote, changed my mind and decided to dye it black. It took several coats of black dye before the smearing stopped and the surface was covered. After alot of buffing, the dye finally seems to have set. It looks pretty good now, but I doubt the dye has penetrated and will last.

Edited by Randyc