leatheroo

Stuck in a black hole

Have you ever felt that you were stuck in a leatherwork rut...at the moment i am not happy with anything i am making, nothing is turning out the way i want. Maybe i am rushing the work, wanting to get something finished (before i have to clear the table to serve meals). Maybe the frustration is feeding on itself and coming out in the work.

Have any of you hit this wall? Does it pass or do i need to go back to basics and make some very simple things?

Damm, i sound like a big baby having a tantrum...lol

Leatheroo. Grab a slab of cold VB or carlton draught and chill. It will pass.

Barra

Roo, you need your own workbench. Working off the kitchen table means you can't just set something aside for a few hours or days, and if your kitchen is like mine, there is no privacy or the quiet to concentrate. (Rotten kids!) Is there any place in the house you could work and call it yours? And yeah, leatherworkers get the blues now and then. Sometimes taking a break helps. Some people find something new to do or read about and get enthusiastic again. I know a lady who quit and does pottery now, too. I burned out right before John (my kids' father) died seven years ago, and I haven't made anything in the shop since. Don't let burn out happen to you, Roo. Focus on what you're interested in, and turn down all the jobs you don't want for awhile. Start a project that you've always wanted to do but never found the time to. Stay tuned to LW so you don't forget you're not alone. {{hugs}}

Johanna

Well said.....

you guys are sooo sweet

Yes Roo,

I had this happen recently and I had to step away for a bit. I felt I was rushing my work also. Same as you. In making all my skulls I was trying to get alot done in a short time. I was putting a deadline on myself that was not even there. Anyway, I stepped away and all of a sudden I was inspired with an idea to do a fun piece. This was my "get out of funk" piece.

Keep in touch Roo you will be fine.

2_Hynas.jpg

post-5519-1202549705_thumb.jpg

Caroline,

It happens to me all the time too. Like Johanna said, you really need to have your own space where you can leave your stuff set up. When I was working off the table, most times I just didn't feel like taking the time to drag everything out for a couple hours. Having a place to go to that is always ready helps a lot, even if you only have a few minutes to work. Try and find a corner someplace that you can set up a table and leave your stuff there.

I also have several projects in different stages of unfinishedness (hows that for a word?) I get stuck a lot and dont know what to do next on a project. Probably because I don't really think things through before I get started. When I get an idea, I just get a piece of leather and start carving. Funny thing is if you do that on a piece of scrap, it usually turns out pretty good and you wish you would have done it on a bigger piece of leather so you could have made something out of it. So now I usually start with a bigger piece of leather, and no idea what it will end up being. But usually when you have something unfinished sitting around that you see all the time, an idea will come along. Some things I really have to be in a mood to do, like painting. If I am not in the right mood, there's no point in starting. And whenever I get stuck, I just move on to something else. There are tons of different things you can make out of leather, as you can see here on this forum. Look through the pictures and see if there isn't something you haven't made before and give that a try. I am not sure if I have seen any carving on your work yet. If you do carve, you might give one of the monthly challenge patterns a try.

On all the pictures you have shared with us, your work is really great. I know that you will do more great stuff when you get through this.

Clay

Hi Roo,

I agree with the rest here...Somehow, somewhere, someway get a place for your self. A bench in a corner, even a closet will do if the lightning is OK. Just so you don't have to drag things away after every little moment. That can get anyone into a "I give up" mode. I had it like that before moving to this new (town-) house and still haven't made any corsets since then. I got fed up too and the "passion" for it just flew out the door.

Be as creative in finding your own place as you are in your mask art and you'll do fine :thumbsup:

Wishing you a wonderful week end "Down Under"//Tina

I agree with everybody else.

1. definitely find some way to have your own space for work, a room, a large closet, a small storage shed (they're fairly cheap to buy or build), even just a well organized corner with a divider of some sort. I've been fortunate in that I've always been able to have a spot strictly for leatherworking in. I even had my shop set up in the back of my minivan at one time! *L*

2. find something new to add to the mix too. find a silly picture to carve or something.

3. just sit down somewhere quiet with a nice drink and think about things you'd like to make and have seen. whatever you get the most excited about, go for it!

4. sit down with all your tools and just look at them, turning them in your hand and laying them out. they'll talk to you.

5. surf the web not looking for anything in particular. something will jump out at ya and inspire.

If you find you're burning out, go with it...just leave a little something left smoldering ;)

Grab some vegemite, a few cold ones, and go bush for a few days. Just before I started with this leather work ( new medium for me) I started feeling the pressures of working away from home all the dang time, started missing all the little things that calm me down, then WHAMO ! I started feeling all artsy again. I lost the creative bug about 8 years ago, and now it's back with a vengence. Hang in there it'll be okay. If you don't feel like doing any leather work, don't. It's a terrible thing when an enjoyable hobby turns into a demanding job.

Edited by TwinOaks

Roo,come on it's easy to find a place for you,build a place for you...

[mad mind on]

Don't worry about money...jus sell one of your childs :jump: .

[mad mind off]

Like everybody here: take some time if needed...you're doing wonderfull work.

For the positive part: I give you a special free HUG :D

If you smile reading this...I'm happy

Alex

you guys are right about not having my own space, unfortunately my house is overflowing, we dont have a garage so stuff is stored everywhere! there is no money for a shed etc....however we do have a dining room for 'special occasions' that doesnt get used that often (not the kitchen table for everyday meals where i do the leatherwork at the moment).. i think i will get rid of that table and large sideboard (where do i store all that sh**) and claim that area as my own.

thanks everyone for your helpful and kind thoughts

Roo,

I've not been leathering long enough to have developed a rut, but I've been in ruts before. So many, in fact, that they named a band after me. Perhaps you've heard of them: The Ruttles? The band started out as Howard's Ruts, but changed soon after they caught the notice of the record companies. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Anyway, I too suffer from workshop envy. My solution? become a part of the mess rather than trying to usurp the mess. (see picture).

100_5064a.jpg

As you can see, I am part of the rest of the mess. Bench and storage bins right in amongst the sofa, puzzles, and clutter. Not pretty, but functional. AND in with the family while they watch TV and generally lay about. The best thing is that NOBODY needs me to clean up my bench for dinner or anything else!

It's like I've become one with the clutter... almost invisible in fact. Might as well call it Claude Raine's bench. :D

Brent

post-5266-1203972695_thumb.jpg

i've felt similar to this, only for a much different reason. i'm just starting in leather and i want to learn it all. i''m being pulled in so many different directions that i keep spending money and time on a lot of different things. as a result..nothing gets done, and i get frustrated nothing gets done some more...

i hope u get out of it. you make beautiful work. try going in a different direction. make some cases or something. i have no idea what im talking about, but maybe it helps you :)

Felt like this a couple of weeks ago. Then i stocked up on material for the two fly rod tubes I'm gonna make, hardware for my own style bootstrap arrived. Started making of strap two days ago, almost done. Today I started to make a box (pursestyle) for flyfishing reel, only assembly and topcoat left. Also I picked up the important plastic innertubes to start production of those tubes + had a day at my job Saturday aswell.

Hey time flies right now, so many things in my head now that I'm almost dizzy. In a positive way, just dreading that lockout that probably appear after this...oh yeah I can always attend to those planned motorcycle seats :thumbsup: top coat sealer has been an issue for me in Sweden but I'm nearing a solution, hopefully.

Tom

I am an older guy, 60 years old. I have worked with leather for almost 40 years and during those years I remodeled 2 homes and finished a basement in another home. I have been where your at... at times no money... other times I was to busy with the family..or working on the house. Sometimes I would start a project and get burn't out on it so covered it in a cloth and put it away. One time I had like four items I started and didn't finish. One day I decided to grab one of the old ones and totally enjoyed it. So, to answer your question ... yes it will pass and you will see something that will grab your attention and away you'll go. Take a break but don't leave your hobby... If your like me its in your blood. I'll be watching for more work from you to see what great ideas you come with. :)