Sign in to follow this  
Kustom

Neetsfoot, Dry Or Damp Leather

After I saddle stamp a piece of leather should I wait for it to completely dry, or can I put the neetsfoot on while it's still cased?

Thanks, Steve

After I saddle stamp a piece of leather should I wait for it to completely dry, or can I put the neetsfoot on while it's still cased?

Thanks, Steve

I always figured that oil and water don't like each other, so I've always waited till the leather is dry.

For best absorption wait till it dry’s. My best to you, Dennis.

Thanks guys. That's what I'll do then.

I know it sounds absolutely wrong, but I've read somewhere that the water takes the oil into the leather. I've tried it and it seemed to work in my super unscientific experiments.

Kevin

Hermann Oak and Thoroughbred Skirting both take Neatsfoot quite well while still slightly damp. I do it all the time. No color variation or spotting. If anything I would say it oils more evenly a little wet than bone dry. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I will have a piece oiled Neat-laced, antiqued, and totally finished within 20 min of stamping it. It will scare the piss out of you though. As it dries it will look like it's going to spot bad, but it always evens out. Try it on scrap. If it you don't like how it turns out don't try it again, but like I said I do it all the time.

Ross

Edited by RWB

I have to say that I like to put the neatsfoot oil on while cased. I believe that it traps in some moisture to help keep the leather from drying out to much. Leathers need oil and a little moisture to stay soft and supple.

Mark