johnnysignor

Acrylic Paint "crackling" Prouct Use Question..........

Hello, I'm an artist of leather military aviation unit patches , I was recently asked by a potential long term customer if I could make patches with the "effect" of old cracked paint, he told me of a product that makes acrylic paint crack and look old . I am wondering If anyone of this forum has used this and if so could they tell me their results ???????? What I want to try to achieve is a very small tight pattern of this effect and not sure what technique will work best as to brushing it on etc . Would appreciate any comments etc on this , thank you and I await your replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have another product in mind , but what I'm looking for is someone who's actually tried this on leather , either a painted patch or another painted item on leather to see how it works , thank you for this item , but it appears to be too heavy of a application and the "cracks" would be too large for what I'm seeking ..............

How about getting some and just testing it out?

I was eyeballing it at the store a few weeks back and had considered it myself for limited use cases.

Whatever you do, I would be sure to put a finish sealing over it after the cracking is done to ensure the acrylic doesn't begin to flake off prematurely.

Yeah , I was thinking that way , but the problem is the guy who wants me to make the patches that way and wants to see some right away and he "expects" them to be a certain way each time , and there in lies the problem , I don't really have the extra leather/paint to waste trying to get one the way he wants and if they're not he won't want them and then I'll be stuck with useless item/s and time/$ out for the product .................................. I want the work but don't want to waste the materials/time and only a "possibility" of getting the work afterwards ................................ Also as you mention the "cracked paint" may want to flake off and I'm not sure what to overspray it with that will take and hold etc ......................................

Well, the customer is going to have to realize that this isn't a controlled manufacturing process. When thing's are hand made there are variations. As to wasting supplies and money, it's not a waste to master a technique.

For covering, with acrylics I like to use a varnish to smooth and seal the actual acrylic paint and then cover the entire piece with Resolene.

Yeah , I guess I just have to "bite the Bullet" as they saying goes and give it a try ..................................