JWP

Asking Questions

Burning the ends of thread when I'm done sewing doesn't seem like the cleanest way. What are the best tools to buy and is there an area where you can present you work and have it critiqued by others in an effort to learn. I have many questions like these. Can anyone tell mr what the proper way to submit the questions is?

Questions can be submitted on this forum.

Critique is usually done on this forum Critique my Work!

I use a soldering iron with a pointed tip to burn thread ends.

Thanks TR are you pulling thread through knotting it then putting the iron on it or just burning on both sides?

I run the stitches back on themselves a couple holes then have both thread come out the same side, whichever side will be noticed the least. then I use a lighter to quickly burn then I press the threads down. I've also been using braided thread lately and I make sure I run the needle back through the thread when I back stitch after I've made sure it's all pulled tight. Depending on the thread, and you'll have to figure out how your thread melts, you will leave different lengths when you cut. Just enough to form a tiny ball that can be smashed into the stitch line and be barely noticeable.

That's pretty much what I do, over stitch or back stitch, leave about 1/8" of tail and melt it down and press it into the stitch hole with my thumb on both sides.

When hand stitching I can put both ends on the back side.

If you are burning your ends, . . . just be sure to check it when you are done.

Just every now and then, . . . it'll form a little hard ball of nastiness that actually can cut you, . . . or if on the backside, . . . it can snag a shirt, britches, vest, etc, . . . and make the owner very unhappy.

When I burn em, . . . I always rub em good with my thumb to make sure I didn't create one of these little monsters.

May God bless,

Dwight