Sign in to follow this  
punitor1

Anyone Have Experence Using A Cnc Laser Cutter On Leather?

My workload has increased to the point of needing to either set myself up with a Clicker or Laser Cutter. Due to the amount of complex patterns I use on a regular basis I would need to eventually invest $3,000 or more in dies to get to the efficiency level that I feel is needed.

Since I am looking at a small investment in tooling I have been considering other options as well. I am wondering if anyone has had experence with CNC laser cutting leather? I generally work with latigo (usually black) in the 8-14oz range. I am specifically interested in learning what others may have experenced and what kind of edge the laser cut/what is nessesary to work it into a nice clean beveled edge?

I am currently considering this machine (although maybe with a larger bed):

https://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/cnc-machine-blacktooth-laser-cutter-engraver-40w

Here is a youtube video of one operating:

Thanks,

T

From what I hear, laser cutters tend to blacken the edges if the leather (since it is burning). If you're working with black, it might not be a problem. You could send some of your stuff out to be laser cut by some company just to see the results and then you'd know what to expect before spending money on it.

Andrew

for the amount of power it will take to cut 14 oz, you'll also have lots of carbon residue which is drawn across the leather. The solution there is to simply wash the leather when done.

Unfortunately, you then have to wait for it to dry.

Another trade off is that you can raise the speed so it doesn't cut as deep and create a lot of soot, but you'll have to run multiple passes which means time.

Nick

You will still have a "crisp" edge after edging the leather once cut with a laser. You can edge/cut most of it off, be it will still be there. We(King's) cut a lot of award plaques and blanket corners on a laser to make it cost effective and then dye the edges after slicking to cover the burn. Obviously you won't see the black burn on your black leather, but you will have the slightly crisp edge still there.

The laser does work very well, depending on the project.