Patina

How Do I Remove Gold-Stamped Monogram Without Hurting Leather Surface?

I would appreciate it if someone could help me. Thank you for your time.

I've removed it accidentally with ammonia and water, but it was a moldy old shotgun case I really couldn't hurt. The embossing is put on with heat, so you will probably see where it was anyway. One method I use is to put a leather patch over it and a brass plate on top of that, that way it looks like it's supposed to be there.

Good luck,

Kevin

It rather depends on how much pressure has been used to put the letters there in the first place. I have removed gold foil by warming with a hair dryer and carefully scraping it away with a scalpel blade but you won't get rid of the embossing marks quite so easily.

In most cases I've seen, the embossing will have been done by a very simple hot foil press machine and, as the process doesn't require much pressure, it is sometimes possible to bone out the worst of the marks. If the machinist was a gorilla then give up and go home as I doubt you will shift the marks. Then you need to take Kevin's advice and patch or plate it.

Hope this helps,

Ray

i have removed the gold stamping from a leather book with WD-40 and it worked great.

you put a little bit of WD-40 on a cotten swab (q-tip) and u rub soft on the gold stamping till its coming down it shouldnt take more than 3-4 seconds

than wipe it dry right after with a towel so the wd-40 shouldnt take off the glance of the leather

dont try to scrap it with a blade with hot or cold things it will scratch the leather

hope it helps you