Here's a belt I just finished for a friend. It's 1-1./2" wide and is about 12 oz total. It's sewn with 92 thread at 12 spi. The lining is finger cut and the buckle set is a nice old N. Porter.

Bobby

post-7682-082931300 1315610138_thumb.jpg post-7682-048387300 1315610139_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful work.

bob

another great job but then i wouldn't expect anything else from you>!!!!!!!

That it beautiful all around.

Kevin

Thanks everybody!

As always Bob, I love to look at your work.

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

Beautiful work Bobby, Can you enlighten me on what thickness leather you line the belt with? (Here in OZ we use mm to describe the weight of leather). I have a conversion chart for converting ounces to mm. I have never tried your technique of decorating the inside of the belt . It adds that "little bit extra". Thank you for sharing.

Taptaptap

Beautiful work Bobby, Can you enlighten me on what thickness leather you line the belt with? (Here in OZ we use mm to describe the weight of leather). I have a conversion chart for converting ounces to mm. I have never tried your technique of decorating the inside of the belt . It adds that "little bit extra". Thank you for sharing.

Taptaptap

I typically use 7/8 oz leather with a 4/5 oz lining. The more ornate the tooling pattern, the thinner the top leather will be and therefore the lining will become thicker to achieve 12 oz total. Occassionally I'll get a call for thicker belts, but 12 oz is the most common.

Hope this helps...

Bobby

Great looking belt! Can you explain why you use thinner leather for more ornate tooling patterns instead of thicker leather?

Very nice Bob.

I am going to be starting a floral belt soon, I love yours and i was wondeing if you can post more close up pictures of the tooling. Great work and thanks,

If you will PM me with your email address I will send you the full size photo. Then you can zoom in on it in windows.

Bobby

wooooooopieeeeee.....love it, the decorative cuts in the liner are beautiful.....now the only thing is.....didnt see any flames or skulls....but thats ok, because your work is very fine craftmanship......I like it a lot!!

Greetings

Jimbob

wooooooopieeeeee.....love it, the decorative cuts in the liner are beautiful.....now the only thing is.....didnt see any flames or skulls....but thats ok, because your work is very fine craftmanship......I like it a lot!!

Greetings

Jimbob

Thanks Jimbbo! I'd put skulls or flames either one if my customers would have it!

Thanks,

Bobby

All of your work is amazing and top notch! Just one question, Is your natural looking color to all of your work with plain neatsfoot oil or neutral antique paste? I am new to leather working and do not know anybody who does it, I have been trying to get that natural look to my tooled work but just can't get the details to stand out. Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

All of your work is amazing and top notch! Just one question, Is your natural looking color to all of your work with plain neatsfoot oil or neutral antique paste? I am new to leather working and do not know anybody who does it, I have been trying to get that natural look to my tooled work but just can't get the details to stand out. Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

When I oil I use EVOO and I use Fiebings antique paste. Seal the leather with Neatlac (Clear Lac) first, apply the antique, seal with NeatLac again.

Hope this helps......

Bobby

Great work Mr. Hidepounder,I was wondering do you spray or rub in the neatlac?Thank you for setting the bar so high on your leather work,gives me something to shoot for.

Great work Mr. Hidepounder,I was wondering do you spray or rub in the neatlac?Thank you for setting the bar so high on your leather work,gives me something to shoot for.

Thanks Beans! On occasion I will spray NeatLac, but 99% of the time I apply it with a trimmed piece of wool skin. I like to work it in a little which reduces some of the gloss.

Thank you for the response sir. I will try it. Once again, great work.

Hidepounder... Your work is awesome. Like others have said you keep us inspired to do better!! I love seeing your projects!

Helda XXXOOO

What kind of tooling leather did you use. Super carving.

What kind of tooling leather did you use. Super carving.

Hi Eddie and thanks! I use Hermann Oak. It just works for me. The belt is 7/8 oz with 2/3 oz lining.

Bob,

Awesome belt, do you glue your belts to acrylic backing to prevent stretch also? If not how do you treat the belts to prevent stretching while tooling?

Thanks

Bob,

Awesome belt, do you glue your belts to acrylic backing to prevent stretch also? If not how do you treat the belts to prevent stretching while tooling?

Thanks

Thanks Tspear! Belts are one of the few items that I don't glue to acrylic. I use clear packing tape because it is so much easier to manage than a long piece of plexiglass.

Bobby