Rayban

Horsehide Gun Belt Opinions Wanted....

I've been making my horsehide belts from two layers of horsehide.....but in doing some more research on them, I see that some belt makers use one layer or horse, along with one layer of cow.

My feeling on it is if someone wants a horsehide belt, it should be all horse hide, not this half and half business......but I haven't heard a good reason for the contrary.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Misc193.jpg

Rayban

i agree with yu if some one wants horse hide work then so be it in my opinion horse hide is pretty tuff stuff and can take a lot of abuse and it seems to mold great for like holsters and things like that

so i say keep doing your fine work

Tim (Cowboy316)

I've been making my horsehide belts from two layers of horsehide.....but in doing some more research on them, I see that some belt makers use one layer or horse, along with one layer of cow.

My feeling on it is if someone wants a horsehide belt, it should be all horse hide, not this half and half business......but I haven't heard a good reason for the contrary.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I gotta agree buddy.....if a customer of mine orders something that specifically states in my description that it consists of a large chunk of 'Great Grey-green Greasy Limpopo'...well, he gets a large chunk of Great Grey-green Greasy Limpopo. It's only the proper thing to do..,.Kinda like 'hand sewn' items.....to me that doesn't mean that an operator fed the leather into the foot of a machine. To me that means my old awl, two needles, a piece of thread and (for me) a pair of smooth jawed pliers. I say sell what you advertise and honestly describe it. Mike

Cowboy!!!...GREAT to hear from you again!!!!

My main reason for posting this was to see if there was good reason why 2 layers of horsehide just wasn't needed....counter productive....overkill.....to expensive.....causes a rash........what ever.

Sorry for the late post on this, I have been away from a computer for the last week. I work predominately in Horsehide, but for belts I do use Hermann Oak for my base layer. The reason I do it has to do with thickness and consistency. I like using hard rolled Horsehide and I find the thicker weights can have a lot of surface imperfections. Soft rolled, is nice in the heavier weights, but just doesn't seem to stiffen up enough. So, I use 8oz leather for the base and then hard rolled 6oz Horsehide on top. If I do Shark, I still use the layer of horsehide though. That's pretty much my main reason for doing it.