Sign in to follow this  
flyingcuda

Custom Mocs...please Help

well, it appears my mouth has done it to me again! a woman has asked me if i could make some custom moccasins for her soon to be daughter in law...my mouth said...sure, i can try! i have once done a pair of moccasins from a kit, but this one will be totally custom. the bride to be has suffered much through her life and has a deformed foot, allowing her to only wear crocs. no one wants her to wear these for her speacial day, including me...probably why mouth said yes. i have never met these people but i'm sure they could use something nice to happen. she will be coming to me for measurements on wednesday, i have no clue how i should measure her for this job, she does want it to be above the ankle and will be e-mailing me pics of what she would like. what is the best way to measure...do i do regular measurments and take pics of her feet? do i try and make a mold of some sort? if so, what do i make it out of? and..what do i charge for this sort of job? any input will be greatly valued! i will continue on my journey and do some more reserch...while i'm at it, i may look for a new mouth as well. :censored2:

You might contact a doctor that works with orthodics and ask them, explain the situation to them and see what they think. I know that in my still limited study of shoemaking that if you get it wrong you can cause some problems. However if she wears crocs all the time those are about as basic as you can get. At least the ones that I have don't have much in the way of arch support or anything like that.

Wish I could be of more help.

Chris

At the very least you want to get a drawing of the outside of bothfeet. You will use this to create the bottom or sole of the Moc. Depending onhow the foot is formed will tell you which way to move forward. This I thinkyou will find to be a fun and rewarding project and we all hope you takepictures of your work and her smile.

Tlong

Think Positive Be Positive

Depending on how much time and trouble you wish to take, you might try contacting Simpleway Shoes in the UK. They have a good range of shoe styles in a variety of colours.

You would need to take a few measurements across the feet, and kits can be supplied to accommodate individual foot sizes (even if the wearer has different size left and right feet). I have used their kits to make shoes for people who have deformed or distorted feet, and have found them to be extremely easy to use, with good results. They are very helpful people, and have always responded well to my orders.

http://www.simpleway...og/Comfort.html

I would be very tempted to take the easy way out on this, . . .

Take a pair of her crocks that fit, . . . make a pair of suede booties that will attach to a pair of light brown crocks, . . . contact cement the very nicely done and painstakenly decorated booties to the crocks, . . . and wish them the best.

After all, . . . this is a wedding, . . . she's not planning on hiking to Denver in them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight has a good idea.......But make them with WHITE ELK SKIN.