Sign in to follow this  
Regis

scheduling classes and show days

I was looking at the Sheridan Show catalog and even though the show is only 3 days, classes start several days earlier. Is it the same for all the big shows, especially the IFoLG show in October (Fort Worth)? Should I plan on getting there for the 4 show days or do I need to plan several days earlier if I want to take classes? Or, is each event worked out individually (as far as scheduling classes and show days)?

Sure would've like to make the Sheridan show but, it ain't a gonna happen.

Thanks,

Regis

It depends on the show managers. In the past couple of years there has been early classes at the IFoLG show. At last years show in Butler there were two classes that were held for two days before the actual show started. Frank Z. did a class on the Billy 2shews method and there was a class on how to make leather boxes. I don't know about this years show as the class list is not out, but keep checking the IFoLG web site for it.

Exactly. All of the arrangements for an IFoLG show depend on the host guild. The host guild has the responsibility of deciding special competitions, printing certificates, having ribbons made, publicity, hotel contracts etc.

All of the instructors and vendors are"volunteers". There may be some fees, but the fees help them to maybe break even, not pay for the break from the bench. The host guild tries to work with the available people and their schedule requirements when they decide the classes, and when they can, they like to have them before the show because that way no one misses anything, and there are less conflicts with people who want to teach or take more than one class. The hotel has to be negotiated with, too- everything from conference rooms to catering to rates for rooms. (Some hotels will discount or allow the free use of conference rooms for a set amount of guaranteed room nights sold) If you do go to a show, whether it is an IFoLG show or one sponsored by an individual guild, try to book your room at the host hotel, and make sure the hotel knows you are with the show. It may be $20 cheaper to stay across the street, but if the show doesn't make their room quota, they may face unexpected fees. No one teaches, sells at or hosts a show to "get rich". The goal is to break even, and maybe throw a couple hundred dollars in the kitty for the next event.

The best thing about the shows, classes, competitions and leather aside, is the fellowship between leatherworkers. Lots of us have known each other for years, and there are always new friends to meet. There are cowboys and bikers and businessmen and artists and everything in between, and conversations are friendly and fascinating.

Here is the link for the Lone Star Leathercrafters ( Hosts of the 2007 IFoLG show)

http://www.lonestarleathercraft.org/about_us.htm

And a special link for the show:

http://www.2007ifolgshow.com/

Johanna

Last year, at the IFoLG show in Butler, hosted by the Pitt Pounders and the IILG, Holly did a lot of the preliminary planning, Carol Higgins organized the classes, Blanche Byrne put together the biggest raffle I've ever seen at a show, and Pat Hay & Chris Kearns handled a million details to make everything go as well as it did. (Johanna stands on a chair and gives those folks a round of applause!)

Well, it sounds like I just need to set reservation for Monday-Saturday. And if there are no workshop/classes for me Monday, I can carry tables and chairs or hang banners or sweep the floor....... for a day..... or so

I was just wondering if it's normal for most of the workshop/classes (that I need in a big way) might be before the "showing" events (like the Sheridan catalog).

Thanks,

Regis

Regis

Yes, there is Pre Show classes before this years IFoLG show. the following are scheduled at this time to teach pre show classes although they haven't been officailly anounce yet but I know because I am on that committee. Robert Beard, Rene Berends, Barry King, Roz Koahn and Chuck Smith. All the classes should be out to the guilds in early May.

Anne

Mary Kamai

(817) 516-8789

This is the lady in charge of IFoLG classes for the Lonestar IFoLG show in October 2007, Ft. Worth Texas. If anyone gets a confirmed list, please post it.Official Show site

Johanna