ryan

Harness Leather Spilt Reins

Everytime I see advertisements for harness leather split reins they talk about them being hand rubbed with waxes and oils. Assuming one is using Herman Oak Harness which is obviously hot stuffed, what kind of treatment do you folks use on the reins (if any). I have used Montana Pitch Blend in the past, which smells really good by the way :yes: , but just curious what everyone else uses for a finishing touch. While I have your attention, where's a good place to buy Old Word Harness from Herman Oak other than direct as I only need two sides. I don't want TR grade either.

Thanks

Ryan

Goliger Leather

http://www.goligerleather.com/saddlery.html (888) 44-HIDES or (800) 423-2329

RUSSET "OLD WORLD" HARNESS

A Grade

10-11 oz. Medium

11-12 oz. Heavy

Over 12 oz Ex Hvy

where's a good place to buy Old Word Harness from Herman Oak other than direct as I only need two sides.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I just a few hours ago received my very first Hermann Oak harness side from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo, TX (800-537-3945). I wanted to see if there was that big a difference between it and Weaver's brand.

Oh, my! It looked good enough to eat.

First of all, they'll cut your hide into all the straps you want, for FREE. I had the top half of this extra heavy side cut into 1" tug straps and 5/8" reins to save the trouble of getting my husband to wield the draw guage. When I pulled the straps out of the box I could tell right away I was going to convert. Very even cutting and there was no brand on the hide. I round-edged a rein immediately and it made glassy, un-shaggy edges. I didn't put any dressing of any kind on it or even wet the edges, I just pulled it a few times through my canvas apron bottom. Perfect and buttery smooth.

There's no minimum order, and the price was the best I found. I shopped around. I even called Goliger after reading the earlier recommendation. The lady priced their's at $8.62 per pound, averaging 25 pounds/side. That's $215.50 before shipping. And they don't offer the free strap cutting service. Panhandle's Hermann Oak is $190 per side and $16 UPS. I talked to the actual guy standing in the actual warehouse as he hand-picked my actual hide to my specs.

I don't get any compensation for all this gushing, but if they want to pay me to endorse their service, I'm willin'. :thumbsup:

Custer

Comanche, OK

custerleather.blogspot.com

That's interesting. I'll have to give Panhandle Leather a try. I go through enough harness I should buy it direct from Hermann Oak but I use the cutting service from Weaver which saves me a ton of time. I make a lot of pack saddles with it. I usually buy backs so I don't have as much waste. But over the last year or so it seems like the quality has been getting worse. maybe I should look into an automated strap cutter, but those things must cost a lot I think.

That's interesting. I'll have to give Panhandle Leather a try. I go through enough harness I should buy it direct from Hermann Oak but I use the cutting service from Weaver which saves me a ton of time. I make a lot of pack saddles with it. I usually buy backs so I don't have as much waste. But over the last year or so it seems like the quality has been getting worse. maybe I should look into an automated strap cutter, but those things must cost a lot I think.

I looked at Panhandle Leather's website but according to them they only ship in the south central part of the country. I guess at those prices, I would gladly pay extra for shipping. Let me know if you contact them and find out if they'll ship up your way. I assume PNW is the Pacific Northwest so I figure we are about the same distance from Panhandle +/-.

P.S. - I agree with the quality issue going down. Recently purchased their HO Bridle Leather and wasn't all that great. All their stuff is TR though.

Ryan

according to them they only ship in the south central part of the country. I guess at those prices, I would gladly pay extra for shipping. Let me know if you contact them and find out if they'll ship up your way.

Ryan

Ryan,

the website is not as current as it should be. They used to DELIVER (in person) to the southcentral U.S. But they will SHIP anywhere in the country. They used to have a big truck that the owner drove around and when he was scheduled to be in your town, you went shopping in the back of this truck. THey discontinued that service a year or so ago but haven't changed their website yet.

Part of their appeal for me is that it's nice that when you call, the guy who answers just carries the phone into the warehouse and talks to you while he picks your side. Much more personal service than the disembodied voice I talk to at Weaver for hardware. I get the feeling she's never even been to the warehouse. And Panhandle doesn't mind how many different widths you want your straps cut to. It's all free.

I'm still waiting to be compensated for all this good publicity....... :thumbsup:

Becky Custer

Comanche, OK

custerleather.blogspot.com

P.S. - I agree with the quality issue going down. Recently purchased their HO Bridle Leather and wasn't all that great. All their stuff is TR though.

Ryan

I agree, the black HO bridle I got, I had to re-dye, the color was so light and it had no top finish. I was used to the English bridle and was surprised at how little stuffing there was in the HO bridle. I haven't tried W&C bridle, but it looks very nice from the samples they sent me.

Thanks Custer,

I will call and order a side today. I might even take advantage of their free strap cutting!

Ryan