Hello everyone I am having an issue with sealing my leather after dying. I applied the Eco-flo all in one stain to my project and proceeded to let it dry for approximately 24 hours. I then applied a coat of Sno Seal to both sides of the leather in order to water proof it. I noticed that for this project the all in one stain started to come off, I have used the same dye on other projects before and never had a problem. Is it possible that the sno seal is causing the dye to bleed? Is this project salvageable? Is there anything I can do to seal in the color? Please help!!!

post-64227-0-92776000-1438837549_thumb.j

post-64227-0-47891100-1438837558_thumb.p

Ecoflow is water based, Sno-Seal is a water proofing product not a sealer. Get rid of the ecoflow crap and get a real dye Angelus would be my choice. You should get a small bottle of Clear Resolene and use it as a sealer. Just my 2 $.

Sno-seal is a wax mixed with solvent. The solvent makes it liquid enough to put on, then the solvent slowly evaporates and leaves the wax on the leather. Key here is that word "slowly". When you put it on a project with ecoflow, the solvent can dissolve the color into the wax and make it "bleed".

I'm not real keen on ecoflow. Solvent based dyes have been used for a long, long time. Making something eco-friendly doesn't necessarily make it better. If you look around this board, you'll see people happily using the stuff - but you also see people trying to manage disasters.

Texas Jack thank you for the info. Yesterday I finally got some resolene finish in the mail and this morning I applied a light coat on my project (passport cover). The stain on my project was coming off pretty bad no matter how many times I tried to buff it with a paper towel. I think the resolene was the answer though. It is no longer bleeding dye plus it gave the leather an awesome shiny finish. I have a lot to learn about leather dying, but I will keep trying.

Texas Jack thank you for the info. Yesterday I finally got some resolene finish in the mail and this morning I applied a light coat on my project (passport cover). The stain on my project was coming off pretty bad no matter how many times I tried to buff it with a paper towel. I think the resolene was the answer though. It is no longer bleeding dye plus it gave the leather an awesome shiny finish. I have a lot to learn about leather dying, but I will keep trying.