Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and am hoping I'll learn a lot from others! I started working with leather about six months ago. I've made a few things which I've posted below.

One question I have is about the quality of leather. As I'm a beginner, I don't want to work with the most expensive leather but I still want quality. The leather I'm using to make the handbags is Italian leather and they told me it was from the belly. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Can anyone give me some advice?

Here are some things I've made over the past couple of months:

post-58453-0-75245600-1421399786_thumb.j

post-58453-0-29790100-1421399803_thumb.j

post-58453-0-93843100-1421399830_thumb.j

post-58453-0-59018600-1421399865_thumb.j

post-58453-0-75172000-1421399879_thumb.j

post-58453-0-42035500-1421399886_thumb.j

post-58453-0-16571800-1421399907_thumb.j

6 months huh? Good work there :-)

Belly=stretches easy so really not the best part. Did you make the boots from scratch too?

Thanks Tina!

Yes, it's been a huge learning curve. I started by taking a boot making course at the London School of Fashion. That really got me started. However, you can't make boots without the proper machinery so I've been experimenting and making different things. I made a number of mistakes on the bag. I started by using polyester thread which kept breaking. I then switched to nylon which is working much better. I learn something new with each project so it's been challenging but lots of fun.

I've not sewed before but bought a 201k singer sewing machine. So that was a learning curve also. However, I love this old machine. It's like a tank!

It's strange because there is no stretch in the leather I'm using for the handbag. In fact it's rather stiff. It was a nightmare turning the bag right side round after hand stitching the corners. I thought I might have to give up but finally... finally... after putting my foot in, a rolling pin, etc... haha... it worked.

Great looking work!

Thanks Brian. I've so much to learn and just want to get to a point where I can confidently sell some things.

I'm making a new bag at the moment and the stitching on one of the handles is a little wonky in one part. I just feel gutted when something like that happens thinking ... urrggg I can't think to sell something where the stitching isn't perfect! I know it's going to take a long time but buying the material is expensive!