DavidG

Does Tandy have a Black Friday sale?

Just curious.

If so, I may go down then to pick up my starting gear.

Thanks!

I guess I should probably just call.

They are having a turky day sale. The 28th and 29th. Looks like some good bargains.

Tom

The manager of our local store has told me that they will be having one that runs Friday and Saturday but I havent found out any details yet. Anybody else ????????????////

Just curious.

If so, I may go down then to pick up my starting gear.

Thanks!

This is the sale they are having at my local Tandy.

Tom

tandy_sale_1.jpgtandy_sale_2.jpg

post-6291-1227213830_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1227213848_thumb.jpg

Thanks Carr!

I just called the Columbia, SC store a few minutes ago and what the manager told me is reflected in your post, so I'm guessing that's the nationwide sale.

This is the sale they are having at my local Tandy.

Tom

tandy_sale_1.jpgtandy_sale_2.jpg

So if you go early and you get stuff that is

half off then when you pay you get another 40 %

least that is the way I read the flyer

you posted.

WINDY

The 40% off early bird special says "from 7 AM to 9AM". The other sale says "after 9AM".

Is that 40% off retail or wholesale price?

Retail catalog prices.

WINDY

Yep! There is a nationwide Tandy Black Friday sale. I will be working at my local Tandy to help them both mornings.

7-9am is 40% off retail sale (25% off leather)

and the rest of the day the are the other deals shown on the postcard and several special deals on tagged items thruout the store!!

If you look close, one of the coupons is 50% off one item...so if you've had your eye on one of the nice AS mallets...hehehe.

For the guys on here in the Houston area, we have extra post cards at the store, so if you don't get one in the mail....come on by anyway and we will get ya hooked up!

William

I was planning on getting the Basic starter kit and some additional stuff, but now I'm thinking of using the 50% off coupon for the Deluxe Starter kit, and getting 40% off a flask kit, a set of letter stamps, and some extra rounders to practice with.

I was planning on getting the Basic starter kit and some additional stuff, but now I'm thinking of using the 50% off coupon for the Deluxe Starter kit, and getting 40% off a flask kit, a set of letter stamps, and some extra rounders to practice with.

That deal on the 3-4 oz tooling sides is choice; I'm definitely getting in on some of that action.

Yep, your hooked. There's no hope for you now. Your every waking moment will be cosumed by thoughts of leather. I plan to hit the sale also.

Tom

Well the kits are on sale right now anyway..... And if get some good freebies with them. Now dont quote me as I am doign this frmo memory but I thinkt he freeies are as follows:

Deluxe kit gets you 8 free crafttools OR $50 in books/craftaids OR a full side o'leather...

Starter kit gets you 4 crafttools, $25 in books/craftaids OR a half shoulder....

The details are listed on the website and in the November sale flyer.

If you use the 50% coupon on the kit, I am not sure you will get the freebie items.

William

Tandy in Ventura is having the same sale, and the freebies apply even if you use all your coupons. The managers have been encouraged to have their own specials for the sale as well, and to stock up on the sale items. It seems they want this to be an annual "thanks" that the regular shoppers & wholesale members can depend on.

do your math though, some of the specials, freebies and coupons will net you better than 40% off regular price. If so, buy non-sale items and take advantage of the early-bird price or the coupon, then get your sale/special items separately.

Edited by cybertracy

Well, in that case, allow me to pick your brains; For someone who is starting from square one what would be the best way for me to spend $125-150?

I'd like to get a few tools and a couple of kits so I can hopefully recoup some of the cost as Christmas presents. After I've gone through all I can make with that, I'll probably drop another $150 right after Christmas.

I want to eventually make flask covers, belts, reenactment belt pouches, bracers, guitar straps, and other materials. I'm much more interested in learning to tool and carve celtic styles than western.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by DavidG

I would spend some $$ right away and buy the wholesale club card at Tandy. In fact, ask the store manager where you are if you can use your 40% before 9am right to get the club price discounted. Even if you pay full price, you will make it back the first couple of leather purchases and you will always get awesome sales in addition to the discounted regular price. If you cannot go to the store, perhaps the manager will let you call in a purchase or leave a list an call in with the payment on Thursday or Friday.

You'll probably get many different answers, but as a newbie just figuring out what she'd have done different, I can at least share that with you.

I would not again get the "shortcut" combo tools such as the adjustable creaser, the stitch marker with the 3-in-1 interchangeable wheels, the mini/maxi hole punches etc... I am slowly now replacing them with dedicated, well-built tools (single wheel stitch markers, round drive punches, etc. Figure out what weight you'll most be using and begin with the single tools in the size you'll most need. The above-mentioned may be fine for an occasional hobbiest, but it sounds like you are going to do quite a bit of work. The adjustable groovers (get the saddlemaker's one if you do buy one) are ok, and I've used creasers to scribe stitch lines on edges, but if I had to pick only one tool to do edge scribing I would get the Osborne TL34 Scratch Compass.

Also, I went through many cutting devices (rotary, expensive shears, util & x-acto knives) before I got my hands on a round knife. Once I saw how awesome they work (with practice of course) I'm dissappointed when I have to use anything else. Invest in a good round knife (I actually find the stohlman, once sharpened is great) at 45% of and you can almost replace your skiver, bevler, scissors and rotary (straight line) cutter on most jobs. things I use on almost every job: round knife, edger, slicker, stitch marker and punch, needle, thread.

Another good purchase at the sale would be the Craftool Deluxe snap/rivet setter set (about $25 regular price) and with few exceptions you'll be able to do most hardware, and the quality of the tools is far better than the other sets they have.

If you are going to carve, that adds another big list...(and I'll let more experienced carvers try that one) but since you don't sound like you'll do much sheridan-style, I've found that a few bevelers checked and smooth do the trick on most of the celtic knot designs I've made, and a good matter/backgrounder (I suggest the pebbler from hidecrafter).

Also, I wish I would have bought the Leathercraft Tools book first and foremost--I still find it invaluable.

PS: I couldn't wait until I could afford a fancy letter stamp set, which I did on one of the sales, but I've used it only once--I find I download and carve most of my lettering.

Last but not least, utilize your Tandy store! Most managers are very happy to have beginners come in with questions--and you can set up a time to come in and try out most of the tools & such before you buy (including the round knife). I will go in with a scrap from a project and try a sample of any dye or finish at the store before I purchase and entire bottle to find it's not what I need.

Good luck and welcome to a craft where you need tools, even for your tools!

Those tooling sides what kind are they, Im assuming the craftsman but I didnt see the stock number on the site.

I joined the wholesale club and have saved 50 times what it cost me.

Tom

Thanks for all the great info. Sorry it took until now to respond. I will definitely see if the wholesale club membership can be purchased with the discount. If it can, great. If not, I'll get it on my 2nd purchase. I'm on a very tight budget(I'm getting married in less than a year!) and need to have my initial investment have as many things to use "right now" as possible.

I'm either going with:

1. The Deluxe Kit with some add ons (flask kit, rounders)

or

2. Basic Kit, Round Knife, Snap/Rivet Setter Kit, Leatherwork Tools book, and a few stamps and leather with what's left.

The first will be easier, but the second will give me the basic tools and then I'll have to go from there. Still not sure which way I want to go. But, if I can talk the manager into giving the same deal that the Ventura store is having I'll probably go with the Deluxe Kit & accessories and throw in a round knife and the tools book. I can't wait until Friday so I can finally get started.

Hey David!

I doubt you can use the discount on the wholesale club purchase, but my Tandy gives the wholesale club discount to customers on their first purchase at our store. Just as a thank you for trying us out kinda thing......

William

Well, thanks for the help everyone! I made it to the Columbia store, met a couple of forum members, and walked away with all this booty for $189.67:

Deluxe Leathercraft Kit

Coal Black Eco-Flo Dye 4oz

1 1&1/2" XL belt blank, keeper, and econo buckle.

Leather Flask Kit

#200 Beveler

Modeling Tool

25pk Leather Rounds

So, I need to go find a scrap of granite and I'm ready to roll.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Thats great. Welcome to the thing that will eat up alot more money and time then you thought possible. You faired far better then I did on my first shopping spree at tandy.

I picked up way to much stuff today at the tacoma one. Also got a couple of those 3/4oz tooling sides. They werent too bad. Seem to be pretty clean for the craftsman selection,

Wanted to add that they had a decent amount of the saddle sides or whatever they are for $87 I think it was. Something like 45% off so it was a pretty good deal I just didnt have any more money lol.