Sign in to follow this  
stef73433

Best Saddle Making Books And Dvds?

I can't afford to buy all out there, so want best bang for the buck.recommendations?? Thanks!

Harry Adams's Saddlemakers Shop Manual is pretty good. Lots of pictures and detailed instructions. Stohlman's series of books are good also. Learning to build saddles and setting up to build them is not cheap. HTH Ken

Hey Stef!

The above referenced books are excellent, and I use them for reference when I get stuck on an operation. For the money, and it's pricey, the best DVD for a beginner (in my opinion) is Jeremiah Watt's collection of DVDs. He builds an outstanding saddle and explains every step from the position that the viewer knows nothing about the process.

Dale Harwood is (one of) the greatest living saddle makers, and he also has a set of DVD's out. His are fantastic and it's like an opportunity to set around in his shop and watch him build a saddle. That said, he assumes some knowledge on the part of the viewer and does not explain all of his process in any where near the detail that Jeremiah Watt does.

These are my opionions and are worth every penny you paid for them. I have both sets and treasure the information I have gotten from both, but if I was just starting out, I'd be much better served with Jeremiah Watt's. I don't know either gentleman personally and have no stake in their operations. Just my advice to your request as I understood it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

My recommendations would be to buy Stohlman's Vol. 1. encyclopedia for history, measurements, and basic information about starting a saddle. Harry Adams book is good for more modern advice, and has plenty of pictures. A good tape (unknown if in DVD format) is Bill Gomer's, under $100. It is cheaper than Watt's, and is geared more toward beginners. The only books that I have found that can take you all of the way through building a saddle from step 1 to the final product is Stohlman's first two books. However, they cover only a leather ground seat, and their style is old fashion. It's expensive, but you'll find over time a compulsion to acquire as much information as possible to build a better saddle.

Good Luck,

Ron

Thank you all!