Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

grinding stone for rotary tool

I don't have a bench grinder, so am thinking of ways to make my new flex shaft rotary tool do as large tasks as possible.

I need to shave off some girth of a 794 needle so that it will fit into an awl. I've used the grey grinding stones that came with my now deceased dremel, but they are now worn down. I do have the one carbide Dremel bit that is used for removing metal. Is there another type of grinding stone I should consider using? Thanks.

Ed

Dremel has a number of grinding type stones to use in varying grits. The grey are pretty soft and act more like a polisher/punice stone. General purpose stuff. The orange colored ones are aluminum oxide and will remove more material with less work. Key thing to remember is to use the whole stone surface otherwise you will burn a groove in the stone. Also, use a lower speed setting (around 1800-2000 rpm) and just enough pressure to remove material. Let the stone do the work.

Another trick that works is if you have a collet small enough to hold the needle, simply load the needle in the dremel and then put sandpaper on a flat surface and grind it that way. Start with 80 or 100 grit and work your way up the grits once you have the size you want. Just use the same speed/pressure theory.

Dremel has a number of grinding type stones to use in varying grits. The grey are pretty soft and act more like a polisher/punice stone. General purpose stuff. The orange colored ones are aluminum oxide and will remove more material with less work. Key thing to remember is to use the whole stone surface otherwise you will burn a groove in the stone. Also, use a lower speed setting (around 1800-2000 rpm) and just enough pressure to remove material. Let the stone do the work.

Another trick that works is if you have a collet small enough to hold the needle, simply load the needle in the dremel and then put sandpaper on a flat surface and grind it that way. Start with 80 or 100 grit and work your way up the grits once you have the size you want. Just use the same speed/pressure theory.

I like the idea of chucking up the needle and grinding against 80 and 100 grit on my granite surface. Thanks.

ed

I like the idea of chucking up the needle and grinding against 80 and 100 grit on my granite surface. Thanks.

ed

No problem Ed, it's also the less expensive way to do it which is why I like it! :)