Duke

stirrup leather wraps

hi, I asked a question about this before, and felt kind of brushed off, but since I was taught that there is no such thing as a dumb question, I will ask agian. can anyone explain to me( and paybe provide pictures) of stirrup leather wraps made from latigo. I am under the impression that they are used to help hold the stirrup leathers once they have been turned. I would very much so like to learn how to do this, as I could see myself making a saddle within the next 6 to 10 months and want to incorporate this into my saddle.any and all help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Duke,

It is actually pretty simple to do and you can wrap it with whatever you want. A lot of the saddles posted on here have the wraps you are talking about. Here are just four that I found real quick in the Saddle and Tack maker gallery. Three wrapped with latigo strings and one (mine) with the same leather as the saddle is made out of

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2136

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2592

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1595

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2017

The important thing to remember is to install your blevins posts in opposite of what you normally would without the twist.

thank you timjtodd, I sure do appreciate this, and for the advice on installing the blevins backwards. probably would have been trial and error had you not said something.

is there a specific number of wraps that you do, and how do you keep it tight without loose ends hanging out?

Duke,

I see some with no wraps- just set and folded, and some with 6" of wraps. I usually do 4-5 wraps of 5/8" latigo, with the slit eye at the top. They are saddle string cut-offs. I then feed it up through the folded leathers and weave back down though the top couple of strands, cutting the tag off up inside the fold. I have seen some of the showier saddles with a barrel type braid instead of a wrap. That looks cool.

wow,ok. that is a huge help. thank you bruce.

Duke,

You can also use a solid piece of leather 3"x4" and punch holes across both 3" ends and lace it that way. If you do it this way you can also tool the wrap. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. (the tooling isn't that great but you get the idea)

Tim

wrap.jpg

post-5930-1209564540_thumb.jpg

Now that is a classy idea, timjtodd! Never would have come up with that on my own. :notworthy: Is that your idea or did you get it somewhere else? I have a saddle coming up that would be perfect for. I think I'll tool them to match and then lace it to match the lacing on the skirt jockeys. Should look really nice. Thanks for posting the idea.

Edited by grumpyguy

You're welcome, but I'm not creative enought to have come up with that on my own. I got the idea from Dusty Johnson.

Edited by timjtodd

I like the idea of a braided "tube" to hold the curve. Having done some braiding years ago, I think I'll give that a try on a saddle I have in my tackroom that has no turn to the stirrups.