Hellicap

Marking Stitches On Finished Leather

I am just getting started with all of this. I have made a rough cut bag and want more practice with finished leathers. My question is: if finished leather isn't good for tooling then how do you mark where your stitches go?

I use a screw crease to mark a line at the correct distance from the edge and then I use a pricking iron to mark where the stitches go - pricking irons come in all sizes from 4/inch to 17-18/inch. - see - How I make a bridle - thread for pics

I just discovered this, and have been using it for a week. Really nice.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0016ZZOEK

Use this with a ruler to mark a straight line near the edge, and then use your pricking irons to mark / punch holes

Edited by Matt T

What I have done is glue the pieces together an use the sewing machine/ without thread to punch the holes,

Hello, I am very new to this so please forgive me if I am off base with this suggestion. I found this video on YouTube of a lady who does quill work on leathher and she uses a water solubile sewing pencil. This is something you can find at any sewing store like Joanne's fabric.

How to quill a knife sheath: