Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Wood

Practical uses for braided knots?

To those of you who braid leather, what uses do you make of braided knots such as simple turksheads and pineapple type interweaves. I personally use them as binders on round braid to cover ends-- decoration on scalloped belts-- a substitute for short lengths of round braid up to about 6 inches and hat bands. Also does anybody have a method of selecting a specific for a given space.

ps About the rawhide rope - its been 60 years or so but I remembering a bull hide and that you needed at least 45 feet to allow some stretch when they hit the end also dally to let a little slack and absorb some of the shock'

Sidney Wood

Clyde Tx

Sidney, I would love to see pictures of your work! I love to braid and do knots, but there are more experienced braiders here who can respond to your questions better than I can. (Oh, Dave A.?)

Also does anybody have a method of selecting a specific for a given space.

I don't understand the question. Styles or uses? One nice thing about braids and fancy lacing is they "dress up" a project, and you can charge more! It's one of those extra "added touches" that can make the difference as to whether an item is profitable enough to keep on making.

Johanna

Sidney, I would love to see pictures of your work! I love to braid and do knots, but there are more experienced braiders here who can respond to your questions better than I can. (Oh, Dave A.?)

I don't understand the question. Styles or uses? One nice thing about braids and fancy lacing is they "dress up" a project, and you can charge more! It's one of those extra "added touches" that can make the difference as to whether an item is profitable enough to keep on making.

Johanna

I should have said specific knot. Usually we need a given diameter to go around something. Often when the knot is for decorative purposes, a certian length would look best. What I would like is a technique to arrive in terms of lace width that would give a first approximation of the knot in by bights and parts for a given diameeter and length. A calibrated eyeball and experience works most times, but it sometimes takes several tries to get it right. With knots of odd numbered bights you have a lot of choice in part increments which helps a lot.

Sidney Wood