Sign in to follow this  
barbiesdude

Ground Seat On A Laporte Tree

Any one ever built a ground seat on a Laporte tree? And would be willing to describe the process.

Starting my first saddle.

It's been a few years, but I've attached some photos during construction. I tacked in stirrup leather spacers in the slots on the seat. I only covered the seat with one layer of leather to cover and skive out any bumps. The saddle had a cheyenne roll. You'll need a roll filler. My final seat was padded, so I didn't use the regular 3 ground seat layers. I also glued leather to the underside of the saddle and brought up the leather to cover the seat in the handhole.

I hope this helps,

Ron

post-16421-0-80633100-1389571136_thumb.j

post-16421-0-68926600-1389571211_thumb.j

post-16421-0-43389900-1389571274_thumb.j

post-16421-0-69864300-1389571516_thumb.j

Thanks Ron, that does help a bunch. I tend to like a more narrow seat as I spend quite a few hours at a time some days in the saddle. Plus my wife will be riding this saddle some. Would a couple more layers narrow it up a little without putting me to far off the horse?

I can't answer your question about width of the seat. I built this saddle for a female, and she has never complained about the seat. As I was building it, as I've done with all of my saddles, I make them to feel good on my skinny butt. That's what you'll have to do. I was impressed that the Laporte seat felt good without anything on it. The father of the fellow who makes Laportes builds a low weight saddle using very little leather. So, my answer would be, do what feels best to you.

Good luck.