Sign in to follow this  
angie m

How Do I Finish Off Sewing With Machine

I am such a novice at this!! When I use thicker thread to sew, which is great for heavier leather, the thread balls up on the back of the piece whenever I go to backstitch. How do you finish of your sewing if you can't backstitch?

Help me please!!!

The obvious of course, . . . is to turn the piece around so you are not back stitching, . . . but going forward. It can be a pain with some machines, . . . and some pieces, . . . but it should give you the finished result.

Another trick I use on some special pieces, . . . I get to the end and on the last stitch, . . . I remove the product, . . . but before I do that, I pull a good 18 inches of thread from both the spool and the bobbin. I then hand stitch back 4 or 5 stitches.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like to use the little hand sewing tool that has a small spool of thread built into it. I don't use the spool, just the handle and the needle.

Push it through and pull it back slightly, creating a small loop. Take the thread on the other side and loop it twice around the loop you made, pull it all tight, make the knot disappear in the leather. Doing this on 4 or 5 consecutive stitches makes a finish that almost cannot come loose.

I tried putting a little drawing there to show it to you, . . . hope it works well enough for you to see it.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-091495100 1287491149_thumb.jpg

I backstitch a couple holes and leave enough tail when I cut the threads from the machine that I can grab with my tweezers and pull the knot down into the leather. Tidies things up nicely and takes only a couple seconds to do. Don't pull too hard or you'll pull the knot out the other side. You'll get the feel of it to know what's just right.

when you are in the very last stitch hole when the needle starts to come up. bring needle upa 1/4 of an inch that releases the thread from bobbin. at this time turn your item in the opposit direction and stitch 3 to 4 holes. let the needle come all the way up and just start down and then you can lift your presser foot and pull out a few inches to tie of. if you take the peice of thread thats on the underside and give it a slight tug it will pull a little loop out. that is the thread from the top side. pull it out and the tie a knot in it and it will never come undone. hope this helps.

I am such a novice at this!! When I use thicker thread to sew, which is great for heavier leather, the thread balls up on the back of the piece whenever I go to backstitch. How do you finish of your sewing if you can't backstitch?

Help me please!!!