sfcdan

puritan sewing machine

I'm considering a puritan sewing machine, the same type that was used in how it's made to make a football, do any of you have one, or has used one? I have a tippmann at this time and it's been good so far, but the puritan has caught my attention, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Daniel.

I'm considering a puritan sewing machine, the same type that was used in how it's made to make a football, do any of you have one, or has used one? I have a tippmann at this time and it's been good so far, but the puritan has caught my attention, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Daniel.

Edited by Johanna
merged duplicate posts

Hi Daniel,

I'm new here, but I came across your post regarding the Puritan machines. We have a 'three row' version of this type, which I use for making heavy leather gunslips (they were originally designed for closing shoes and boots), these machines seem to be fairly 'bullet proof' and, as they are a needle and awl type machine, will sew through very thick materials (even thin aluminium!). They do take a bit of getting used to as they are a bit tricky to 'cast Off' and as there is no reverse feed to back tack you are left with a long tail end piece, that must be folded back and tacked into place to stop the whole lot from unravelling. The one that I use is of the older type, but you can get a more up to date version. Both types work the same and parts are still available and you can get more details from: www.puritanindustries.net/index.htm

Regards

Steve

Steve thanks for the information. It sounds like overall it's a great machine, the no bobbin winding could delelete a lot of down time. I'm just curious if any one has ever used one of these to make a holster, and how what's better between a chain stitch, or lock stitch. thanks again Daniel..

Daniel,

Bob Loveless used to use a chain stitch machine back in the day, but he switched to the Artisan 3000 a few years ago. The chain stitch just runs on like a serger and if you don't cross the stitch, it will unravel unless you tie some form of knot in the end. Some folks used to cross back over their stitch line.

Art

Art, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have a Boss now, and I've been looking to upgrade to the Toro 3000, but I first wanted to check into the Puritan. Thanks again.

Daniel

Art, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have a Boss now, and I've been looking to upgrade to the Toro 3000, but I first wanted to check into the Puritan. Thanks again.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

It's me again. Art is quite correct, although the Puritan has it's uses, I think you will find that the Artisan/Toro 3000 will be best for your job. We have a 'Typical TW3-441' which is exactly the same machine, and find it perfect for most purposes.

Steve

Steve thanks again, just want to confirm if the machine you listed is the one you use, or you're selling it?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

It's me again. Art is quite correct, although the Puritan has it's uses, I think you will find that the Artisan/Toro 3000 will be best for your job. We have a 'Typical TW3-441' which is exactly the same machine, and find it perfect for most purposes.

Steve

Steve thanks again, just want to confirm if the machine you listed is the one you use, or you're selling it?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

This is one of the many machines I use, mostly for closing and edge binding bags; couldn't live without it. Take a look at one of the photos of our workshop that I have posted in the 'Members Gallery' you can just see it poking out at the bottom right corner, next to the blue riveting machine.

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Steve thanks for the info again, great shop. I just started working with leather about a year and a half ago, it was by accident and I realized I had something goin for me, but I truly enjoy chatting with profesinals.

Sincerely Daniel