Sign in to follow this  
Sixer

Thoughts On A "driver's Cross Draw Holster" ?

I have a few customers that have requested a type of cross-draw holster that rides nearly parallel to the belt. They are all avid MC riders and want something as comfortable as possible and easily accessible while driving or ridiing their bikes.

I've seen them in the past refferred to as a "Driver's" holster or a "Carjacker" holster ( credit to Andrew's Custom Leather and Ross Leather ). Also, I think Mitch Rosen makes one with a belt clip.

These are not something I normally offer and I have had no personal experience with this type of holster.

IF I decide to make these holsters... I would like to come up with my own design, but there are only so many ways to skin a cat here.

I guess I'm just looking for some guidance here :) Should I steer the customers in a different direction, spend the time to build and test my own version, or send them to one of the above mentioned shops??

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I have a few customers that have requested a type of cross-draw holster that rides nearly parallel to the belt. They are all avid MC riders and want something as comfortable as possible and easily accessible while driving or ridiing their bikes.

I've seen them in the past refferred to as a "Driver's" holster or a "Carjacker" holster ( credit to Andrew's Custom Leather and Ross Leather ). Also, I think Mitch Rosen makes one with a belt clip.

These are not something I normally offer and I have had no personal experience with this type of holster.

IF I decide to make these holsters... I would like to come up with my own design, but there are only so many ways to skin a cat here.

I guess I'm just looking for some guidance here :) Should I steer the customers in a different direction, spend the time to build and test my own version, or send them to one of the above mentioned shops??

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

From the grump: In the around 50 years of building holsters, I have built one, and only one holster such as you describe. This for a very good friend and avid outdoors man. Even if asked, I don't believe I would make another for anyone that I don't know VERY well --- just don't know just how they are going to end up using it. A pic of that rig. The holster has to be located properly because it has to be attached to the gunbelt in some way (this one is stitched down) or it kind of flops around. Mike

008a.jpg

As an alternative, have you considered something like a "Doc Holiday" holster? That would provide a more vertical holster (more secure, IMO), and still be concealable by a jacket (why advertise that they're armed?), but still have fairly easy access that's still in a cross draw configuration...and a bit more accessible than standard shoulder holsters.

Good info!

Thanks fellas :)