ReneeCanady

The Project I Thought I Was Going To Take A Finger Off Doing Lol

This was a fun, yet mind boggling project for me. I haven't worked much with lining things other than a notebook holder I made. I think I have finally learned my lesson as to using a material of sorts as lining vs leather. The final result is amazing, but I must admit it give me trouble every time. I think it is because when you have to "finish" the lacing, it is much harder to come up through the leather and material vs leather on leather after it has been cemented. I am very happy with the final result. The pattern called for 5-6 or 7-8 oz leather I can't remember, but I used 9-10 oz leather because that is what I had sitting around. No laughing at my holes on the bottom! I had a heck of a time with those:) It is lined with the material you see it sitting on in the pics.

P2060027_zps44f542a7.jpgP2060026_zpsecc943eb.jpg

nice

Very nice job, it looks amazing. Is this a pattern or a kit?

Thank you very much! This is a pattern from Tandy called The Market Place Tote.

Is the artwork yours? I really like the strap stamping and floral on the front. Nice work.

I wish Murray. The floral is a pattern that comes with the pattern I downloaded. The butterflies are mine :) Not that the butterflies being mine says anything agains that floral pattern. I had to "girl" it up just a little more than flowers. What goes better with flowers more than BUTTERFLIES.

It looks great

Now that you struggled with the first one, the next will be easier.

Do you have a copy of the pattern you could put up?

Very nice Renee. For what it's worth I see a lot of things about this bag that you've improved on since doing that notepad holder.... the lacing looks neater, the tooling looks good, and you definitely seem to have gotten the hang of resisting & antiquing. Not that the notepad holder didn't look great, just that I can see visible progress in your work from that project to this one.

Edited by cjdevito

Wow! It's beautiful!

Did you glue your lining in before stitching?

Cj-Yes I too noticed the stitching and resisting better. The lace this time is the imperial (still cheepo stuff lol) as to where last time is was even worse (the suede that snaps every five minutes. Thanks :)

I have the pattern and will see if I can get on my own laptop later to upload it. I woke up this morning to one mad virus! Scanning it now. If I can't the pattern is on the Tandy LLL site as the "market place tote/handbag". You will want to take it to a print shop because the pdf is like 76 pages long if you print from home and the giant puzzle stinks!

Yes, I glue the lining before I lace. That is why it is so much harder to pull fabric from the leather as opposed to pulling leather apart from leather. The fabric is not so strong.

If you don't get the nippers to punch the bottom. You can do it pretty easy by putting a piece of 2x4 in a vise and using that to back up the leather when you punch with your chisel. I have used a piece of PVC pipe in a vise also but the wood was better.

David

regardless, even if the art work isn't "yours" you did well, Nice work. I have been thinking about trying a pruse but don't have any experience with them. Is there a liner and pockets and all that in the kit? Like I said, I have no experience with purses, so I dont know what makes one better than another (or functional for that matter).

Wow! This is Very Nice!

I Really like the coloring on the butterflies...

The lite blue And the Metallic on Black is Verrry cool!

I am sure you will get lots 'n Lots of compliments when you

carry that out in public!

Cj-Yes I too noticed the stitching and resisting better.

What did you use for the resist and the antique this time? Just curious.

I have the pattern and will see if I can get on my own laptop later to upload it. I woke up this morning to one mad virus! Scanning it now. If I can't the pattern is on the Tandy LLL site as the "market place tote/handbag". You will want to take it to a print shop because the pdf is like 76 pages long if you print from home and the giant puzzle stinks!

They also still sell the physical, printed patterns for a few bucks more. Convenient way to sidestep the print shop and/or the jigsaw :)

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-craft-patterns/6033-00.aspx

Murray, this is a pattern not a kit. As for lining it you just take the front and back part and glue them to your lining and then cut around that. Therefore your lining should be a bit larger than your front/back. That's how I did it anyway.

David, that is an awesome idea thank you! I could have used a regular hole punch from the bottom, but it would never would have been even from the front view :( I will have to give your advice a shot!

CJ, this time I used Tandy's Super Sheen. How I wish I bought that pattern vs the digital download lol.

Thank you all for such kind words! It really helps/makes me want to continue with leather working when you are made to feel good about it sometimes.

really impressive project Renee. well done!

Thanks Lightn!

Okay, I'll bite. How do I post a pdf file on here? All these cute little gadgets on the tool bar but I don't see one that says attatch file.

There should be another button to the right of post (think its advance button). Click on it and you can upload images again

Great success!

Thanks King!

I can't figure out the uploading a pdf file on here so if you want the pattern emailed to you shoot me a private message with your email address and I will get it to you asap. Sorry for being such a newb to some things.