troop

Heating Formed Holsters.

winter is coming and i was wondering if a heat lamp in the garage is an effecient way to heat (dry) holsters after wet forming. wife is not going to let me use the oven warmer in the house. in the summer i use the inside of my old truck and heat not only my holsters but also my saddlelac before appying. if not a heat lamp, does anyone use other tried and true methods in the workshop to heat (dry) their hoslters?

Tony

I never have heated a holster. But you can put it in a box with hairdryer just make sure you check on it pretty regular because it will get hot inside the box.

winter is coming and i was wondering if a heat lamp in the garage is an effecient way to heat (dry) holsters after wet forming. wife is not going to let me use the oven warmer in the house. in the summer i use the inside of my old truck and heat not only my holsters but also my saddlelac before appying. if not a heat lamp, does anyone use other tried and true methods in the workshop to heat (dry) their hoslters?

Tony

troop; the best for an inexpensive dryer is a fair sized cardboard box with a hair dryer stuck thru a hole. Keep it on low heat and punch a few holes to allow air to circulate. Don't direct the heat onto the leather, let the moving air do it's thing. About the max heat you want is 130 degrees.........a heat lamp will cook the leather...'taint good. Mike

I built myself a hot box. It is about 6 feet tall, 2 ft x 2 ft. I use 2 heat lamps. Seems to work well. I can adjust temp by wattage of bulbs. I currently have 2 250 watt bulbs. I have a remote temp gage that lets me monitor temp without opening the box. I ran a few wires across the top that I can hang holsters from. I also built a removable wire rack for more drying options. The only thing I would add is a timer but so far it works good. I use my cell phone alarm to remind me to turn off the heat.

Jeff

edit here. I framed the box with 2x3's. Added osb for a shell and used 3/4 inch styrofoam board for insulation.

Edited by Haystacker