almac

Leathercrafters Ultimate Workshop. Is It Worth It?

i am absolutely facinated with leather.

even more facinated with the work that you guys show online!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

i am a complete newb when it comes to crafting leather, and am looking at dropping a few bucks on tools, etc.

i am currently interested in making belts, pouches, book covers, holsters, and bags.

my question is the Tandy Ultimate workshop kit actually worth it?

http://www.tandyleat...e/55512-01.aspx

or would it be better(and cheaper) to find the tools elsewhere, or seperately, or possibly any substitutions?

what do you guys recommend as a starting kit?

i suspect that my first project will be a bag to hold all my leatherwork tools...:yes:

i suspect that when i get into this, i will spend a fair amount on tools in the near future...

:whatdoyouthink:

thank you for the input my friends!:)

Hi and Welcome:-)

First I would sit down and think about what kind of carving I want to do in general. The kit is a good start for flower carvings but there is places to get the tools to a better price. Ebay is one and why not try these guys out, I'm happy with them:

http://stleather.com/

I'm not big on the Tandy kits or even buying all your tools at once. Get a good basic set of stamping tools from Lonnie, not a whole bunch of tools (only 16), but you can do a lot with them. You will need a good maul, and the Bear Man makes a good one as does Barry King. Use utility knives and maybe a clicker knife to start. Get edgers from Ron Edmonds, Bob Beard (a year's wait), Barry King, or Bob Douglas. Hole punches you can get used from Proleptic or Bob Douglas, or Mandy or Luke at Sheridan Outfitters.

Buy as you need, I have every edger Ron makes, I mostly use two or three.

You need to learn to sharpen and take care of your tools, and you should start with a utility knife; when you can get that scary screaming sharp and keep it that way, you might never want a head knife. You say "aren't those utility knife blades sharp right out of the box?" Well yes they are sharp like you cut cardboard with, but leatherwork sharp means sharp to a whole new level, and polished.

Plan your project, what tools you will need, acquire them, sharpen them, then do the project. Eventually, you will have bought what you need.

Art

i am absolutely facinated with leather.

even more facinated with the work that you guys show online!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

i am a complete newb when it comes to crafting leather, and am looking at dropping a few bucks on tools, etc.

i am currently interested in making belts, pouches, book covers, holsters, and bags.

my question is the Tandy Ultimate workshop kit actually worth it?

http://www.tandyleat...e/55512-01.aspx

or would it be better(and cheaper) to find the tools elsewhere, or seperately, or possibly any substitutions?

what do you guys recommend as a starting kit?

i suspect that my first project will be a bag to hold all my leatherwork tools...:yes:

i suspect that when i get into this, i will spend a fair amount on tools in the near future...

:whatdoyouthink:

thank you for the input my friends!:)

I'm with Art. Unless you get a really good deal on it, the kits aren't worth it. The quality of the tools are the same as you'd normally get from Tandy, which are hobby grade, but there's gonna be a few things in there that you don't need or won't ever use. There's nothing wrong with hobby grade tools, I have quite a few, but once you get to a point where you're able to drop some coin on some good tools, you'll see a difference. You don't need everything all at once, just pick up what you need and expand from there.

I tell people focus on just one project, start to finish, think of all the processes involved, and pick up the tools and materials to do it, and make a few times before trying the next item. There's lots of getting started lists on this forum that goes over what tools are necessary, and picking up a few books will get you goin.

The tools you'll want also depend on what you do. If you're working a lot with softer leathers making purses and such, you don't need a lot of carving tools. Personally, as an armor maker, I have just about zero need for any kind of lacing chisels. Start real basic and then add as you find a need.