Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

Leather show in Phoenix

I got my booklet that lists the classes for this show yesterday. For those of you that live anywhere close to Phoenix, Az or can travel that way March 5-10, this looks like it will be quite a show. There are over 30 different classes listed in the booklet. They vary from boot and saddle making topics, to formed leather vases and masks. You can learn to braid a bracelet, a bosal, or a reata. There is a class on chap making. If you are into carving, or want to learn, there are classes on figure carving as well as several on different styles of floral carving. Then when you are done with the carving, more classes on finishing and even covering a picture frame with leather. A couple classes on sharpening tools, pattern drawing, and swivel knife work. Classes range from beginning leather work to expert. There are some really good teachers scheduled to teach. I have taken several of these classes before in Sheridan and I know you will not be disappointed. There really should be something for everyone at this show.

For more info, go to the Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal website at www.leathercraftersjournal.com or call the at 1 888 289 6409.

Edited by ClayB

Just to echo what Clay said. This is a great chance for classes. The class lineup is huge, and varied. It is very similar to the offerings at Sheridan every year. The LCSJ is really trying to reach out with this show, and trying some new things.

The big class lineup at a regional show is one. It gives you the opportunity to take a longer class here, and be able to take one two months later at Sheridan if you wish. You don't have to decide one over the other for a whole year. There are several small classes scattered throughout the week too. Most of the regional shows have had a more limited lineup of classes.

The tradeshow starts on Thursday and runs until Saturday. Gives a full day Sunday to get home. The social is the first night, not the last as is done at Sheridan. There seems to be a lot of interest regionally for this show. I have talked to guys who can't or don't want to go as far as Sheridan who are planning on going to Wickenburg to see what these shows are all about.

I know there are a lot of you in the east who would welcome a show back there. These regional shows just have not had the support that the Sheridan show has. The ones out here have been in varied locations, small class lineup, poor timing, and have suffered poor vendor and customer attendance. This is probably the chance to see if a non-Sheridan show can be viable.

Wickenburg is pretty cool location. It has a very good museum (original Russells and Remingtons), nice bit and spur collection, old saddles, and period leather work. The town is an easy drive to Phoenix and Scottsdale. It is kind of an old dude ranch town, and is now selling executive properties - very similar to Sheridan. I signed up for classes yesterday, and am looking forward to it.

Bruce Johnson

Ok, now there is another really good reason to try and get to the show in Wickenburg. You might just run into Bruce! Bruce really knows his stuff, be it leather, saddles, history, ranching etc. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife in Sheridan a couple years ago, and they are both really nice people.

Clay