Sign in to follow this  
JanC

Anyone Use Plier Style Pricking Irons?

I live in an apartment so looking for alternatives to using a mallet and irons. I realize these aren't expensive at all and will likely try them out, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-85mm-Frenchstyle-Leathercraft-Pricking-Iron-Stitching-Chisel-2-4prong-Nippers-/261610193197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce92ec12d

They have diamond shaped and French-style. I understand the limitations of using these, but figure it's worth a shot.

Thanks

well, now i've seen everything. i didn't know that something like this was made. looks interesting. i wonder how tired your hand would get after a row in 9 oz. leather. it's a novel idea......but i get scared of.......MADE IN CHINA.

I have never used a tool like this. It's a novel idea and design. Does anything keep the iron from falling out when the pliers are pointing downwards, i.e. facing the leather in a stitching pony?

Another way around the noise issue is to get a section of log and stand it up, then pound on that. The mass of the log deadens most sounds compared to a workbench or table.

If you are just marking with a pricking iron, though, it makes almost no noise anyway. Only if you penetrate does it take much of a whack with the mallet.