I just finished it a few days ago, and I've been meaning to share it here.

I got the patterns and theory from The Art of Making Leather Cases. I took the briefcase pattern, added a pocket from another briefcase pattern, and added the buckle closure and wrap-around straps myself.

I really enjoyed making this, and I feel like it was just the challenge I needed in order to push myself to learn more.

Things I learned while making this:

- How to do "V" gouges on a larger scale

- How to do accordion sides (very basic ones, but I learned nonetheless.)

- How to do the front pocket I installed

Things I goofed up/wish I would have done differently:

- The front buckles don't close as well as I had hoped. The first holes I punched ended up being too high, so I punched some below them, which turned out to be a bit too low.

- I would have made case roomier overall.

**I still plan to put copper rivets on either side of the handle. With the weight of my uni books in there, I don't want the stitching/leather to be under too much stress...

post-14004-095918800 1315837447_thumb.jp

post-14004-050946200 1315837454_thumb.jp

post-14004-092498100 1315837467_thumb.jp

post-14004-061488400 1315837475_thumb.jp

post-14004-048161700 1315837482_thumb.jp

Very impressive! I really like the design. I'm still too intimidated for a project of that size as of yet, very inspirational.

Thanks for sharing,

Kevin

That is a nice case. I have been thinking of making one almost just like that, with a pocket on the front. You did a good job! Love it. The handle looks nice too. I am surprised you didn't add a shoulder strap if you will be carrying heavy uni books. It looks more sleek without straps though. I like the way you put the interior dividers too. Did you hand stitch it or use a machine?

Sweet! But I would remove that piece of stick......it doesn't match the rest of the project.....lol

Great job!

I"m with Kevin on this one...

I'm still too intimidated for a project of that size as of yet.

I really like the front pocket you made - Good job!

I really like the color you got on that - I can't get my dye to

come out that even... ( what color is that? ) and

I really like the buckles you chose for that...

they look like small horse shoes.

Very Nice!

Wow! You did an excellent job! Was it hand sewn or did you use a machine?

Super job.... beyond my skills....for now but you are an inspiration! :notworthy:

That is a nice case. I have been thinking of making one almost just like that, with a pocket on the front. You did a good job! Love it. The handle looks nice too. I am surprised you didn't add a shoulder strap if you will be carrying heavy uni books. It looks more sleek without straps though. I like the way you put the interior dividers too. Did you hand stitch it or use a machine?

Thanks for the feedback! :) I was wanted to add a shoulder strap, but I wasn't sure how to... I don't think I can put them on the sides of the case, because of the accordion gusset, and I'm not sure how to anchor them on the back... Any suggestions? It's coming on winter, and I'll have plenty of time to play with it. ;)

I own two sewing machines - neither of which I can use due to living in an apartment, so everything I make is hand sewn! Keeps me appreciating things, and I like the way it looks in the end.

Sweet! But I would remove that piece of stick......it doesn't match the rest of the project.....lol

Great job!

Bahaha! Posing my projects is the next thing I need to learn. Up until this point, 99% of them have been small so it's just a matter of placing them on a nice background. One step at a time! :)

I"m with Kevin on this one...

I'm still too intimidated for a project of that size as of yet.

I really like the front pocket you made - Good job!

I really like the color you got on that - I can't get my dye to

come out that even... ( what color is that? ) and

I really like the buckles you chose for that...

they look like small horse shoes.

Very Nice!

The front pocket was one of the more fun parts! It was a pain to get it nice and centered, though. I have a terrible habit of making projects up as I go along, instead of planning it all out at once, so I only decided to put the pocket on half way through.

The colour I used is Fiebing's "Saddle Tan" oil dye. I basically just dye it layer upon layer until it's even. I'm not sure if that's correct, but it's what works best for me. :P

Hey! They do look like small horseshoes! :D

Thanks!!!

Wow! You did an excellent job! Was it hand sewn or did you use a machine?

Thanks!

All hand sewn! I have two machines, but they're both in storage since I don't have 220 converters in my apartment. I don't mind, though. I like to be able to say it's hand sewn, and it keeps me appreciating things... Also, gives me a killer handshake!

Super job.... beyond my skills....for now but you are an inspiration! :notworthy:

Thank you very much! :)

The stitching is great! I thought it was done on a machine until you said it was hand stitched. Any stitching tips for us beginners???

Wow! I still consider myself to be a beginner... A never really thought of myself as graduating to novice, but maybe that has happened!

Thanks for the feedback! :) Thinking back on when I stitched this, I think the key is to have patience. Because I made this for me, I wasn't pressed for time. If it took me 3 weeks (which it did) that was okay. I worked on it ONLY when I was in a good mind set. All I do is make sure all my stitching grooves are the same width from the edge, and that I use the same stitching wheel to mark the hole placements. When I'm using the awl to make the holes, I make sure to use an awl that's an appropriate size for the thread (I have 3 different size awls) and that all the holes I punch are angled correctly... with the flat sides of the diamond parallel with the edges of the stitching groove... I hope that makes sense! I tend to ramble sometimes. :blahblahblah:

The stitching is great! I thought it was done on a machine until you said it was hand stitched. Any stitching tips for us beginners???