MHolzer

Scottish Thistle Tape Measure

I'll be the first to admit it, the carving on this piece is rough. The stitching is uneven and the edging is really lumpy.

But I think it turned out really well all in all. I'm particularly happy with the design because I actually drew the thistle myself (and if you could see my normal attempts at drawing you'd be impressed too!)

I made this leather covered tape measure for a friend who weaves tartan scarves and shawls. I think he'll like it :)

med_gallery_6347_952_668041.jpg

I am not trying to be hard on you BUT. If I was going to give someone a gift of what I done, it would be at least the second of these. This is pretty bad.

ferg

I'll be the first to admit it, the carving on this piece is rough. The stitching is uneven and the edging is really lumpy.

But I think it turned out really well all in all. I'm particularly happy with the design because I actually drew the thistle myself (and if you could see my normal attempts at drawing you'd be impressed too!)

I made this leather covered tape measure for a friend who weaves tartan scarves and shawls. I think he'll like it :)

med_gallery_6347_952_668041.jpg

Damn dude, that's harsh. But you're right.

I am sorry. I have a hangup on hand crafted product that is sold or given to friends that is sub par. I done Stained Glass for a number of years and was simply appalled at what is being sold as

great work when it stinks.

I have thrown away more product than some folks make over the years, simply because I didn't think it met standards I placed on my work.

Strive for excellence in what ever you do, even if it means your friends and family won't get to even see what you done when starting out.

Just trying to be helpful. :)

ferg

Damn dude, that's harsh. But you're right.

Ow,

Everything is relative, normally I hate painted leather, but I really like this. I like the colors and the kind of phosphorecsent effect and I can almost taste the raspberry in the background.

Kevin

In My culture (Native American .... Mescellro Apache) we traditionally give the first new project away to friends and or family yes they may not be perfect or all the bugs worked out but it is the first edition and will bring us good returns on our next endeavors. So far it has not lead me astray. I think is a good first attempt at this item. I know some of my first attempts I wanted to burn or shred but followed the teachings and each attempt after that got a little better.

I am not trying to be hard on you BUT. If I was going to give someone a gift of what I done, it would be at least the second of these. This is pretty bad.

ferg

I dont post much on here but I do read alot of the posts. MHolzer I think that what you did is just fine. Im sure your friend will treasure this for a lifetime. You think enough of him to take the time to handmake him something that he will use. You even stated in your post that there were some things that needed attention on the cover. Im sure your next one will be even better. This craft isnt something you can pick up over night and be a pro at it, practice is everything. So for someone to slam your work and tell you "This is pretty bad" I feel is uncalled for. We all can use some construtive criticism on our work but I feel that was uncalled for.

Just my two cents worth which isnt worth 1/2 cent

Joker

I am with Kevin, that coloring is pretty cool. I don't know how much work you have done and this is the "Show Off" and not the "critique my work" my work section, but here goes with three things deal. The stitching needs some help. Shortening the stitch length up by using a stitch marker of some type will help them to be even in length, closer together and look cleaner. The edges are a little wavy and you know that. Circles are really hard to cut and not get a flat spot. The smaller they are the harder it is. If I try to fix them with a knife it usually makes it worse. I don't know what you have for equipment but I am sure not above using a dremel or power sander with coarse grit and taking down the high spots in the outline and feathering them in. Double beveling to round up the base of the thistle will make it kind of "pop'' and not look as flat. Double beveling round things gives them some dimension. There is some good stuff going here. Good job with the coloring. I don't do much color work, but like mostly what I see there. Drawing your own patterns is stepping out there. Ending up with something functional but admitting right off that you knew there were areas to improve on means that you will improve.

Bruce,

I agree with most of what you have to say. I know that some times I lean a little heavy but praising what is really bad doesn't help anyone get better. The gentleman knew his work was pretty bad, I simply saw no reason to tell him it was okay.

I have stated before that I have had my own business since I was 18 years of age. That included Radio and TV repair, Building and remodeling fine homes and industrial buildings as well as building commercial cabinetry. I cannot think of a man or woman I ever had working for me saying in later years that how I taught them was wrong.

I was director of a 32 member singing group for five years. We traveled all over Ohio and Indiana. What is your reaction to a singing or instrumental group that is lousy. If they couldn't stand the heat they just stayed home.

Some times constructive criticism is harsh.

ferg

I am with Kevin, that coloring is pretty cool. I don't know how much work you have done and this is the "Show Off" and not the "critique my work" my work section, but here goes with three things deal. The stitching needs some help. Shortening the stitch length up by using a stitch marker of some type will help them to be even in length, closer together and look cleaner. The edges are a little wavy and you know that. Circles are really hard to cut and not get a flat spot. The smaller they are the harder it is. If I try to fix them with a knife it usually makes it worse. I don't know what you have for equipment but I am sure not above using a dremel or power sander with coarse grit and taking down the high spots in the outline and feathering them in. Double beveling to round up the base of the thistle will make it kind of "pop'' and not look as flat. Double beveling round things gives them some dimension. There is some good stuff going here. Good job with the coloring. I don't do much color work, but like mostly what I see there. Drawing your own patterns is stepping out there. Ending up with something functional but admitting right off that you knew there were areas to improve on means that you will improve.

If they couldn't stand the heat they just stayed home.

And this is the result of harsh criticism that isn't constructive or meant for the person's best interest. Giving only praise with no advice on improvement doesn't help either. Bruce's criticism is constructive as it gives practical hints on how to improve. It gives information on what to do differently next time, while encouraging that improvement, and at the same time pointing out the positives in the work - and there are always positives! Leatherworker.net is here to encourage people in the art of leatherwork. Telling someone they did "pretty bad" with no offers to help doesn't do that. Let's all work to encourage one another.

MHolzer - what kind of tape measure did you cover? How big is it, since it looks like it would be pretty small in the picture. And as for the drawing - congratulations. Getting over hurdles, doing something you aren't naturally good at, stepping out of the box, whatever you want to call it - just going for it like that deserves a :clapping: .

If they couldn't stand the heat they just stayed home.

Some times constructive criticism is harsh.

Bully.... for you and your accomplishments, but

It is not what you say, it's How you say it.

(I think) Harsh criticism is Not constructive.....

99% of the "leather-work critique" I see through out the forums is in-line with the

"flavor" of this site... Kind, Encouraging & Helpful

Harsh criticism is more of a power trip than it is thoughtful or helpful... it crushes my spirit...

How do 'you' react when you get harsh criticism? Dosen't feel too good does it?

Most of us are here to learn, and I learn better when I am happy and having fun...

Read what it says after the forum titles......

Show Off!!

What have you been up to lately?

Show it here! If you want a critique, just ask!

Our members willingly share their knowledge and experience.

or

Critique my Work!

If you post a pic here, you want people to tell you what you did right,

what you could have done better,

and what you need improvement on.

All constructive replies welcome, and no hurt feelings!

I am fairly new to leather working, and have a lot to learn...

But I sure am having a lot of fun doing this!

I look back at some of my first attempts and have to laugh,

and bless my friends and family for appreciating them as I did at the time

MHolzer

The very first thing that caught my eye was your background coloring - I really like the way that turned out.

I have Scottish heritage and have just been learning about their popular designs - The Scottish thistle and the

Rampant Lion. I appreciate your design and can totally relate to your comment about

"your normal attempts at drawing" because my drawing attempts are soooo Hilarious & laughable.....

I totally agree with the Joker and I think that what you did is just fine and I am also sure your friend will treasure this for a lifetime.

I know I would!

Constructive criticism, I always thought was where you tried to explain to someone what the shortcomings were with what they were doing! This can be done in a mannerly, non-destructive sort of way. Seems like I remember an old saying that goes something like "The worst wheel of the cart squeaks the loudest."

First off this is a gift, and hopefully the recipient will accept it as it was meant -as a heartfelt gesture. I have received items that were not top notch, but I loved them anyway, as they were given to me by friends who cared enough to make something, as opposed to buying something. As your friend uses this it will develop some character, and look well loved.

To smooth the points on the outer edge you can also use a sanding block to smooth them down some, then burnish them a bit. The carving will get better with time,and practice. Careful layout will help a lot in the overall look of a piece.

Keep working at it, and posting your progress.

Cheryl,

I think maybe you are one with a problem.

Where do you get off thinking you are such a high and mighty.

Why don't most of you get off it. I sent MHolzer another message that obviously most of you never bothered to read.

There was nothing malicious in what I said to the gentleman. I voiced an opinion. Actually I believe he took it for what it was. He did say I was RIGHT. Oh, you didn't read that either.

ferg

Johanna,

Please can this thread, this gets totally out of hand.

Bully.... for you and your accomplishments, but

It is not what you say, it's How you say it.

(I think) Harsh criticism is Not constructive.....

99% of the "leather-work critique" I see through out the forums is in-line with the

"flavor" of this site... Kind, Encouraging & Helpful

Harsh criticism is more of a power trip than it is thoughtful or helpful... it crushes my spirit...

How do 'you' react when you get harsh criticism? Dosen't feel too good does it?

Most of us are here to learn, and I learn better when I am happy and having fun...

Read what it says after the forum titles......

Show Off!!

What have you been up to lately?

Show it here! If you want a critique, just ask!

Our members willingly share their knowledge and experience.

or

Critique my Work!

If you post a pic here, you want people to tell you what you did right,

what you could have done better,

and what you need improvement on.

All constructive replies welcome, and no hurt feelings!

I am fairly new to leather working, and have a lot to learn...

But I sure am having a lot of fun doing this!

I look back at some of my first attempts and have to laugh,

and bless my friends and family for appreciating them as I did at the time

MHolzer

The very first thing that caught my eye was your background coloring - I really like the way that turned out.

I have Scottish heritage and have just been learning about their popular designs - The Scottish thistle and the

Rampant Lion. I appreciate your design and can totally relate to your comment about

"your normal attempts at drawing" because my drawing attempts are soooo Hilarious & laughable.....

I totally agree with the Joker and I think that what you did is just fine and I am also sure your friend will treasure this for a lifetime.

I know I would!

well i am a braider and not a carver so i dont see anything wrong with the carving part....i agree with the others, very nice colors. edge and stitching are a bit rough, i agree with bruce, shorten your stitch and you can use some sort of sander on the edge to take off the bumps... the things that make a handcrafted gift special are the unseen things you put into it...if a friend gave me this as a gift i would treasure it. Please accept the kindly given advice offered here and ignore those who choose to be, well, downright mean with what they say.

I like the finish on this a lot. I don't even try finish like this yet. Good for you.

The colors are stunning! You already knew the problems , no need to be chastised. I'll bet your friend appreciates it. Keep at it.

interesting thread but to the point! i'm new here and i don't have allot of experiences. but i do have i hope a generous spirit and i say bravo for showing your work. i think its a fun project i love the Scottish styling and i'm sure with time things will tighten up on your craftsmanship. the important thing is that you tried. all juryes start with the first step. i think the project speaks volumes about your sens of creativity and willingness to jump right in. you are obviously a creative person. i don't think iv seen any thing like this posted. so it shows that you thing out side the box and that is a good thing. I my self am a full time fine artist and tho i can appreciate a good gun holster its just not my' thing (not a criticism of any ones work) i want to explore and see what others are doing that takes leather in to a new realm of creative expression' you have demonstrated that in spades!

so again Good job. do more. we are all supporting you 100% in your jurnye of self exploration thew your art .

PS not to put fuel on the fire but that is how you support a member its 99% positive and 1% negative. if we do the opisit all the time how many new people will stick around here and what would that mean? the end of Leatherworker.net ? there are ramification to what we say even if it is on line. to coin a faze the pen is mightier then the soared. and one last comment we all don't really know each other and you mite want to consider that because of that we don't know how are criticems will be taken this is a multicultural world wide site and are American style in your face communications are considered rude out side of the US there is nothing wrong with being gracious

Paul

I prefer to get gifts that people think will be pleasing to me. If they made it by hand and I can use it then I treasure it. If I can't use it then I display it. Think of what Da Vinci's little sketches that he frequently gave out were worth. I see nothing wrong with giving imperfect pieces to friends and family. THOSE are the people you want to practice on and not customers. :-)

It's ok to be harsh and critical but not in the show off section. Unless someone invites criticism just let them show off what they did. There is a place on the forum called Critique my Work where people invite it. Here I think it's polite if the criticism is gentle and positive if given at all.

Also we should not forget that not everyone has the time and money to make multiple pieces until they get it "just right".

As my friend the great cue maker Bill Stroud said about pool cues, "there is no such thing as a perfect cue". And there is no such thing as a perfect leather item. Gifts made with love get free passes all the time IMO.

Personally, I'd be happy to be the recipient of such a thoughtful gift. Every leatherworker has to start somewhere with their ability level. I teach kids alot, and let me say this is MUCH better than some beginner work I've seen. What you need to work on has been mentioned, so I won't restate it. It's all a matter of practice.

I wasn't going to comment but, I know what Ferg is saying and some people just spit it out. Hopefully Ferg doesn't spit it out on any of MY work... lol... But about the tape measure, practice will make you better. Some people just have a knack or talent for just about anything they put their hands to. If leatherwork is something you enjoy, each piece should show improvement. I know that you will look back on past pieces and say" Ew, I made that??" I HAVE DONE THIS! So just continue to move ahead on the next project and scour the forum for help. There's alot of information that's invaluable here. Good luck.