stanly

How To Make A Dragon Head Purse?

Just a Head

How do I make a dragon head purse?

I want to make a small purse that's dragon head shaped. I've got some samples that give a general idea. One is more art than usable purse, 2nd is a alligator plushie that I found discarded. I want to mold it like the art purse, but shaped more like the plushie with a more triangular head.

Thinking – nail/clamp a piece of leather to a flat "more triangular" shaped wood base, then push up the features.

Seems like this has to be a turn out in order not to show stitches?

If I'm going to mold this 1" up from my base do I start with a piece of leather that's something like 1 3/4" oversize?

Is there some kind of conditioning to make leather much easier to stretch?

Is there a sub-forum for masks that would be more appropriate place to ask these ques?

Thanks for any help

There is a sub forum for masks but since this is a purse I don't see the relevance to masks. If you want to wet form it over a triangular wooden shape, just make sure you have 1/4th inch to nail it down. Do it at the edge of the 1/4th so you'll have room to cut off the nail holes after it dries. However it's beyond me how you will sew it inside out at that shape.

If you wanted to tool a dragon purse it would be much easier and maybe nicer. We had a dragon challenge a while back in the 'contests' forums and I did a carved one by finding a picture online and leaving it up on my screen while I drew and carved it. This wasn't the best by any means and the picture isn't a good one but I think you'll get the idea.

I hope someone else will come along and help you as far as molding it, and turning it inside out to sew. Cheryl

post-27490-0-08821000-1414204436_thumb.j

Hmm, I think you're going to have to experiment a lot. You could wet-form veg tanned, but I really don't know how well that would work unless you could form it over a dragon-head shaped mold. You could work with paper and figure out a pattern.... you could look up patterns for dragon stuffed animal heads, enlarge them, and turn it inside out after you stitch it together.

Hmm, I think you're going to have to experiment a lot. You could wet-form veg tanned, but I really don't know how well that would work unless you could form it over a dragon-head shaped mold. You could work with paper and figure out a pattern.... you could look up patterns for dragon stuffed animal heads, enlarge them, and turn it inside out after you stitch it together.

Well, Monica while I had hoped that this wasn't totally new ground and someone could cut down on the experimenting this is current plan...

Suppose I took 2 - 1x4s cut into "more triangular" shapes, shimmed between at back to get the wedge shape, screwed a piece of PVC on top to get an approximate forehead shape, then went from there.

It's the turn out part I'm most worried about as tip of nose is 1 1/8 x 2 1/4.

There is a sub forum for masks but since this is a purse I don't see the relevance to masks. If you want to wet form it over a triangular wooden shape, just make sure you have 1/4th inch to nail it down. Do it at the edge of the 1/4th so you'll have room to cut off the nail holes after it dries. However it's beyond me how you will sew it inside out at that shape.

If you wanted to tool a dragon purse it would be much easier and maybe nicer. We had a dragon challenge a while back in the 'contests' forums and I did a carved one by finding a picture online and leaving it up on my screen while I drew and carved it. This wasn't the best by any means and the picture isn't a good one but I think you'll get the idea.

I hope someone else will come along and help you as far as molding it, and turning it inside out to sew. Cheryl

attachicon.gifdragon.jpg

Ok Cheryl, so after 89 views and 2 comments, a crosspost to bags and purses it is.

the relevance to masks would be that they mold fantasy figures, some with long noses.

thx

Yes dragon but they don't have backs on them sewn inside out. Sorry I thought you wanted ideas.

Stanly, it's possible that you could avoid turning it completely inside out by using the seams as natural ridges. I'm not saying you should, but you don't seem to like the idea of turning it inside out.

Also, if you look up "molded leather dragon" on google, a lot of interesting ideas pop up. I know this isn't what you're interested in doing, but this is an interesting backpack.

This mask is supposed to have progress shots, but they're from 2011 and not working. I dare say if you follow the pinterest link through and contact the guy, he'd probably send you some pictures.

I really think you're just going to have to give it a try and see what happens. Good luck, and be sure to post what you end up doing, as I'm very interested in how it turns out.

This is a bag i made not a dragon but a skull wet formed in 4 pieces. originaly posted to show off and moderaters put it in to masks. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51676#entry329567

i used hot tap water to case it helps to harden the leather. Best way i think would be to find a mold. The belly section has more stretch and cheaper usually. A tandy manager old saddle maker suggested thinning saddle lac and brushing it on the flesh side that's how he makes his masks.

Edited by Turn n Burn