Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous Dave

Showing off

I thought I would share some photos of two projects that I am most proud of. First is a reproduction 1859 Pattern McClellan saddle. The tree is an exact copy of an original contractor made tree from 1863. The second is a cartridge box used by cavalrymen. It is an EXACT copy complete down to the same number of stitches as the original I copied.

Saddle project:

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100047

Cartridge box:

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100070

ANY comments are welcome. Both projects were completed with the assistance of a true master at his craft and great friend, Nick Duvall.

Dave

I thought I would share some photos of two projects that I am most proud of. First is a reproduction 1859 Pattern McClellan saddle. The tree is an exact copy of an original contractor made tree from 1863. The second is a cartridge box used by cavalrymen. It is an EXACT copy complete down to the same number of stitches as the original I copied.

Saddle project:

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100047

Cartridge box:

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100070

ANY comments are welcome. Both projects were completed with the assistance of a true master at his craft and great friend, Nick Duvall.

Dave

What do we have to do to view them?

Tony.

What do we have to do to view them?

Tony.

Let me know if this works:

http://gallery.me.com/dtmyrick#100070

http://gallery.me.com/dtmyrick#100047

Dave

Dave,

Why not just post them on the site? It will be a lot easier.

David Theobald

Dave,

Why not just post them on the site? It will be a lot easier.

David Theobald

I dont know how to do that and they are large files.

Dave

yOUR WORK IS GREAT.........keep posting (here if possible)

Hi...If you have Photoshop then take the shot into image and reduce the size, then safe it down as a JPG. Would love to see wjat you have.

I dont know how to do that and they are large files.

Dave

Dave

If you don't have PhotoShop just go to Google and download Picasa 3.... it is free and can reduce the size of your photos without changing the originals..... Then follow the Attach this file button below.

Dave Theobald

I was able to view the photo albums in Firefox. From the pictures I saw, it looks like the saddle is still a work in progress. . .? Anyway, I saved a few of the images, brightened them up, and have uploaded them here, so the others who can't view them on the MobileMe gallery can get an idea what the projects looks like. I hope it helps.

As Luke said, your work looks very well-done, Dave! Thanks for sharing.

L'Bum

Dave's photos:

cartridgebox1.jpgcartridgebox2.jpgsaddle1.jpgsaddle2.jpg

post-84-125477891296_thumb.jpg

post-84-125477892785_thumb.jpg

post-84-125477895216_thumb.jpg

post-84-125477898898_thumb.jpg

I was able to view the photo albums in Firefox. From the pictures I saw, it looks like the saddle is still a work in progress. . .? Anyway, I saved a few of the images, brightened them up, and have uploaded them here, so the others who can't view them on the MobileMe gallery can get an idea what the projects looks like. I hope it helps.

As Luke said, your work looks very well-done, Dave! Thanks for sharing.

L'Bum

Dave's photos:

cartridgebox1.jpgcartridgebox2.jpgsaddle1.jpgsaddle2.jpg

No sir, that saddle was complete and ready to go out for a ride. Military saddles for the common troopers of the period (1860's) were simply rawhide covered wooden trees with skirts and straps attached. Officer's saddles may or may not be built on the same tree and may or may not be leather covered or have padded seats and the like.

The files were taken with a Nikon camera and saved as NEF files. I dont know how to convert them to .jpgs to modify them on my iMAC.

Thanks to all for the cudos.

Dave

No sir, that saddle was complete and ready to go out for a ride. Military saddles for the common troopers of the period (1860's) were simply rawhide covered wooden trees with skirts and straps attached. Officer's saddles may or may not be built on the same tree and may or may not be leather covered or have padded seats and the like.

The files were taken with a Nikon camera and saved as NEF files. I dont know how to convert them to .jpgs to modify them on my iMAC.

Thanks to all for the cudos.

Dave

The format that photos are saved in is a setting on your camera. Check your manual.

Dave.....Nikon user

The format that photos are saved in is a setting on your camera. Check your manual.

Dave.....Nikon user

I know that is the setting on camera but the pictures aren't on there anymore. Do you know of any other way to change the format?

Dave

Very good work. As I'm not an expert or even all that informed about the period, it looks to me like you nailed it. I was aware that the rank and file sat right on the bars but I didn't realize the jockies were screwed on with brass screws! You know they were sitting right on those screws and if they don't go in exactly flush, or work loose at all, it could make for a loooong march. I just can't even imagine the pain.

Which leads me to speculate that more than a few of those horse soldiers were inclined to line their britches with something to soften the ride.

I know that is the setting on camera but the pictures aren't on there anymore. Do you know of any other way to change the format?

Dave

Did you download the Picasa for Mac?

If so can you view your pics there?

Dave

Did you download the Picasa for Mac?

If so can you view your pics there?

Dave

I tried but it requires an Intel based mac to run, mine is a G5

I tried but it requires an Intel based mac to run, mine is a G5

Sorry Dave,

I'm not sure what to tell you. You may be stuck....

Wait a minute...

Can you open your pics in Nikon View or Nikon Transfer? You may be able to change the format there.

Dave