Sign in to follow this  
Spencer G

Ferdco sewing machines

Does anybody know about the quality of Ferdco sewing machines? So far I've just done small projects, but would like to get into saddles, would I be able to do that with the TK-1245?

Any and all comments are appreciated

Spencer

The TK 1245 is a clone of the Pfaff 1245 which is an awesome chap machine and great for belts ,daytimers, headstalls etc but will not sew heavy enough or handle heavy enough thread for saddles and other larger projects. Greg

Spencer,

I have the Ferdco 1245, and Greg used the right word - awesome. I have had mine since December. I don't think it has skipped a stitch yet. It will handle up to #207 thread handily. I have used down to #92 thread as well, but usually run 138 through it. It will do heavy strap, they say up to a half inch I think. It is not a saddle machine.

I have Ferdco's Pro 2000 also. It is a good solid saddle sticthing machine, and pretty hard to get it to skip too. I think I have had it a couple years. Between the two machines and servo motors on both, I have all the firepower I think I need for sewing.

As far as Ferdco. I started off with a used Adler 205-64 from them. I used it for 5 years and they helped me sell it for what I paid for it. They have always been very good for advice on machines, maintenance, and supplies. I have tried to deal with other sellers at times, but Ferdco has done the best by me.

Thank you guys for your comments. Do you know of another machine that would be maybe on the lower end of heavy duty? I'd like to be able to do saddles, but I also would rather not spend the $4000-$5000 for an Adler 205, Ferdco 2000, or somthing like those. One other question, why would one choose a cylinder arm over a flatbed machine, or vise-versa?

Spencer

Spencer,

Regarding the lower priced machines that can do heavy duty. The Adler cost me about $2200 used from Ferdco, and after 5 years, I sold it for that through their swap-board. I used it for the cost of one bent feed dog. Quality and reputation will hold their value. There are several clones of the Juki 441 that the Pro 2000 is based on. Cowboy, Sewmo, etc. are out there, along with Artisan selling two long arm clones at two different prices. Several sellers have the shorter armed versions as well. Personally, I don't see the appeal of the short arm machines other than price. I have folded up enough chaps and saddle blankets to stuff them through on a narrow throat machine. The difference with all these machines is service. Not to sound smart, but it sounds like you haven't used a heavy stitcher before. It is a given you will have a problem, everyone does. That is when you find out who has fire and who has smoke in the service dept.

I broke a needle on the Adler. In doing that, it also bent the lower feed dog and was "short-stitching". The Ferdco service guy was on the phone with me for an hour while he diagnosed the problem through me taking it apart. When I got the new feed dog, he offered to call me at 5:00 am my time so I could put it on and he could talk me through retiming it if needed, before I had to leave for work. They have been that helpful to me whenever I have called them.

The Pro 2000 is supposed to have some parts redone or replaced from the original Juki to make it more reliable and even stitching. I just know I really have to try to make it skip a stitch. "Ferd" of Ferdco original fame retooled and beefed up a lot of the original machines into heavy stitchers or machines dedicated to sewing a specific application. The servo motors give very good speed control and good punch power at low speeds. I can sew from 1 stitch every 2 seconds to running down an edge. I would not go back to a clutch motor again.

I like the cylinder arm for a lot of things. I can sew curved things on the curve. It allows me to sew gussets into bags and planners from the outside. On a flat bed you would have to sew them from the inside. I made a flat bed for my 2000 with a cut-out for the cylinder arm and adjustable legs (folding table legs with different length of PVC pipe extensions that slip over the legs). This supports awkward or heavy things like saddle pads and blankets. The smallest thread I use in the 2000 is #207, not sure how small it will go.

I like the flat bed for sewing flatgoods and strap work. I have used up to #207. The flat bed is nice to do chaps, checkbooks, wallets, belts, spur straps, stuff like that. My wife is less intimidated by the flat bed machine. If I was buying one machine and needed to do saddle work, it would be a reputation cylinder arm and I would make a good sized flatbed for it. Then if the trend is there in your business, get a second machine later, and that should probably be the flat bed then. My thoughts.

We use Pfaff 1245's at work nearly exclusively for general industrial sewing and it is a gem of a machine. I agree it is not a saddle machine but will handle chaps, spur straps etc with ease. I would go on the advice of the others as far as Ferdco products go but again the Pfaff version of the 1245 is a gem. I too would go with a cylinder arm machine which you can modify into a flat bed like Bruce said and then quickly convert it back to a cylinder arm.

Barra

Edited by barra

Hi Spencer,

The 1245 from Pfaff or Ferdco is a great machine, however not the machine for saddle work. Ferdco is a great company to work with and the service is excellent. Ferdco machines are Chinese clones now, but they do go through them pretty well. You will not go wrong with a Ferdco machine. I think you want to be looking at the 2000 (Juki 441 clone) instead of the 1245, it will handle thicker items than the 1245 and larger thread. Get a servo motor (an upgrade from the clutch), you will sew much better and learn faster with the servo. As far as the cylinder arm goes, you will be able to do more and different work with the cylinder arm than with the flat bed. If you ever get into case work, the cylinder arm is a must; ditto saddles.

Artisan is also a good machine both in the small 618 and larger 3000, 4000, 4000P machines. Artisans are clones also, the higher priced ones have mostly US and Japanese parts in them, but the 3000 and 4000 and 618 are well setup when you receive them (which definately isn't the case with some of the clones where they come setup as fabric machines, or not setup at all). I can vouch for Ferdco and Artisan, I hear Sewmo and Cowboy are ok also, but I haven't seen them except at shows.

Adler also makes beautiful machines, they aren't cheap (quality or price).

Weaver is now making a clone that looks to be a Adler Head with a Juki bottom end and arm. I would like to get my hands on one, but the price is too hefty for a toy.

If you can only afford the Artisan 3000, then that is a good start, for a few dollars more, the 4000, however you will not waste money on a Ferdco 2000 or the Artisan 4000P they are both great machines that will run all day, every day.

If you do enough work, more than one machine becomes a real convienance, and a Real 1245 (Pfaff), or a Ferdco 1245 are the Cadillacs (the Pfaff is more of a Benz), and the Artisan 618SC-1 (not any other 618 just the Artisan) as a less expensive alternative. However, if you can find a used (not worn out) Pfaff 545 double needle 1/4 gauge machine, you will give up the dog before letting that go. The 545 is probably the best canvas and chap machine ever made, like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going.

Few of us buy our first and last machine at the same time, buy something and start stitching.

Art

Does anybody know about the quality of Ferdco sewing machines? So far I've just done small projects, but would like to get into saddles, would I be able to do that with the TK-1245?

Any and all comments are appreciated

Spencer

Thank you all for your advice. Bruce is right, I've not done much with a heavy duty machine, or for that matter with any leather sewing machine. After looking at the Artisan website, am I correct in thinking that the only difference between the 3000 and 4000 is arm length? Also, how do the Artisan machines stand up over time? On the Ferdco website there is a used Ferdinand 400 that they say is good for saddles, but can only sew 1/2" thick, is that enough?

I know that I'm chalk full of questions, but am not one for hasty decisions. Besides, it would be a shame not to take advantage of the deep well of knowledge here.

Spencer

Edited by Spencer G

Spencer if you buy a machine with only 1/2" foot lift you will kick yourself in the butt real quick.If you are interested I have Pearson #6 stitcher on a full treadle stand for sale. The machine came from Don King and is mint. The Pearson is probably the simplest stitcher ever developed. The Ferdco6/6, ASE #9 and Luberto's Classic are all copies of this design but they left the best feature of the machine off when they copied it. A few years back Tony Luberto was showing me his machine and told me it was so much better than the Pearson because they were able to get rid of the yoke on the back of the machine, he was real proud of what they had done till I explained to him that that was a bottom needle assist that could be adjusted to help pull the work back from the bottom as well as the top. He had a pretty stupid look on his face as the light came on. There were just under 12,000 of these machines made and very few of them made it to the US. Needles are avaiable from 160 thru 280. Machine comes with a bobbin winder as well. $4,100.00 firm. If you are interested you can call me at 208 278 0133. Thanks Greg

Greg, thanks for your offer, do you have a picture? The Ferdinand 400 has 5/8" of foot lift, though it can only sew 1/2" is that still insufficient?

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

You are on the edge there. Better to buy a Ferdinanad 900 B instead for $700 more and you will have a good machine that will sew most anything, forever.

Artisans are excellent machines, they have been around for over 10 years at least and folks like Gomer and Bob Loveless (and a lot of other big names) use them. On the Artisan 3000, there are a couple of things to keep the price down, like there is no intergal winder on the machine head (on the stand instead, runs off of the belt drive), and a little cheaper stand. Whatever you get, make sure it has a servo motor, a lube pot, and casters on the stand.

Art

Thank you all for your advice. Bruce is right, I've not done much with a heavy duty machine, or for that matter with any leather sewing machine. After looking at the Artisan website, am I correct in thinking that the only difference between the 3000 and 4000 is arm length? Also, how do the Artisan machines stand up over time? On the Ferdco website there is a used Ferdinand 400 that they say is good for saddles, but can only sew 1/2" thick, is that enough?

I know that I'm chalk full of questions, but am not one for hasty decisions. Besides, it would be a shame not to take advantage of the deep well of knowledge here.

Spencer

Spencer,

I was in your boots earlier this year. I spent alot of $$ on other machines that didnt do what i wished, but was convinced it would do what i needed at the time. Then theres that project where you need that extra 1/8~1/4 " pressor foot height and the machine wouldnt do it.

you can go with the inexpensive/low end model, but in the end, you will not be happy. If youre going to make saddle, since you say you want to, then get the largest capacity machine you can afford for that type of work. If you cant now, then save those pennies. You can always sew something lighter (within reason) on the heaver machines, but you cant do the reverse.

also, theres no reason why you cant have more then one machine either.

if there are any leather trade shows near you go to them and ask alot of questions like you are now. Also, make them demo their machines.