Sign in to follow this  
Scary Leatherworks

Zipper Problems

So I am trying my first zipper project. I am trying to make a briefcase with a zipper closure. I bought "the art of making leather cases vol 2" and followed the directions. Unfortunately the example they use was for a thin book, which I didn't realize would make such a difference in the zipper. My zipper seems to be to short and when fully assembled the briefcase wont be able to be fully opened. So my question is can I add some teeth to this zipper? (I really don't want to re-do it) or is there a way to move the ends closer together that I am not seeing? I also notched the case as per the instructions so it limits my ability to cheat the zipper closer. Thanks, Scott

post-6407-052091100 1300648085_thumb.jpg post-6407-068757800 1300648105_thumb.jpg post-6407-067467500 1300648116_thumb.jpg

I'm certainly not an expert at making cases, but I can tell you that it would be very hard to add any length to the zipper. You would need to splice in the extra length and you would need to be very careful to get the spacing correct where the two parts meet, otherwise the zipper will bind. I don't see any way to fix it without redoing the zipper, but maybe others here have tackled this problem and come up with a good solution?

The zipper only needs to meet up at the bottom when the briefcase is open, would it be possible to 'shift' the zipper so that it meets at the bottom but doesn't zipper the briefcase closed completely? (If that makes any sense.)

Bob

It looks like you're using an open ended zip (I can't see the zip pull on the first picture) and looks like the right side in pictures 2 and 3 were sewn shorter than the one on the left because they should be of equal length. The solution to that would be unstitch that side and move it down. Is there somewhere down the zip where it's bunched up, particularly the corners? Sometimes you have to stretch the zip to make it fit, I have the same problem when I make hooded jackets.

You can make a gusset piece that's the same width as the zip (closed up) to sew at the end of the zip to make up for the 'hole' and sew it to the project as it were the zip. The zip will be even but it will only open up til where the leather piece is.

If you used a continuous zip the one that you buy on a roll and cut off to your desired length, you would have zipper teeth in the seam allowance/excess that you just finish off by either sewing a square of material over it or crimp it with a aluminum 'tack'. If you're lining it, the ends would just go into the lining.

I'm making a wallet with the same style of zip opening out of kangaroo but I haven't found a zip the right size yet so I might have to use a continuous zip.